Mickey and Minnie Mouse

My eyelids slowly and painfully adjusted to the light which beamed through the same hole in my curtains. I really had to get that sewn up. I pulled my weight out of my bed and checked the time. I still had plenty of time for a hot shower. I quickly peeled off my clothes which i wore the previous day. I really need to start to but more clothes or just change them more often, because this is becoming quite an unhealthy habit.

The water drummed against my skin creating a steady beat. I washed my hair and body very fast and climbed out. I pulled on another pair of my many black skinny jeans and a tank top, i mimicked Harrys clothing which he wore yesterday and i put my arms through the sleeves of an oversized pleated shirt and leaving the buttons undone.

I brushed my long knotty hair and turned on the hairdryer. It blew hot water against my hair and my skin, if i was lucky.

After a few minutes, my hair was almost completely dry and it was pushed over to behind my shoulder, out of my way. I didn’t bother with much makeup, i decided just to wear a small amount of mascara and eyeliner with flicks. I didn’t bother with anything else though.

I creped outside my door, hoping everyone would still be asleep. I woke up extra earlier so I would be able to avoid Mickey and Minnie Mouse (Harry and Cleo) and so i would be able to get a head start since it was only me working in the shop due to both Fawner and Alec’s absences.  I didn’t mind that it was only me working in the shop; it was never really busy anyway so i think it will be calm. Of course, i had to manage the till and stock the shelves but I’d just sort that out when i had to cross that bridge.

I slipped on my old tatty converse and grabbed my usual belongings. I hopped out the door and walked to the bus stop.

...

As i got off the bus, rain started pouring down. The rain was so heavy; this meant that maybe a storm would be expected. I ran towards the shop and stuck my key into the lock, opening it with a bit of a shove. I stepped inside the shop and shut the door after myself. I shuffled with my wet, squeaky shoes across the shop, towards the back. On the side there was a note, with Fawners handwriting scribbled all over it.

Reeve

If I’m away for longer than you expected, don’t worry because I’ve hired someone to help you look after the shop with you. To keep you company. If you need anything, call me.

F

The letter read. She hired someone to help me? I didn’t need anyone else.  I can handle the shop and the till and the shelves. I can handle locking up. I can handle being alone. It’s not like i can’t say that i already do that, practically every day and night. I placed the letter back on the side and opened the door and turned the sign over, shoving that the shop was ‘open’. I then walked back towards the shelves and began to sort them neatly. The new stock had already been loaded up onto the shelves, so there wasn’t much to do apart from stack.

“Having fun?” A voice said, making me jump, again.

“What are you doing here?” I questioned.

“Special delivery for shop helper...”

“Are you being serious?”

“Yes, serious is my middle name.”

“So, you’re saying Fawner hired you until she gets back?” I continued.

“Indeed.”

“But... How does she know you? Have you two met? I’m so confused.”

“She said she would want you to work with friends...” A grin appeared on their face.

“Friends? I’m sorry, I don’t seem to know what that word means, and would you like to fill me in.” I said sarcastically.

“Just tell me what to do boss.”

“Stack the shelves.” I ordered.

“Uhm...”

“Well...” I said, waiting for movement, but they never did.

“Stack the shelves...” They repeated trying to get me to understand what they meant.

“Please. Stack the shelves, please.” I murmured.

“Of course, boss.”

“Okay... I’ll be at the till, understand?” I slowly said making sure they picked up on every word.

“Yeah, I’m not dumb. By the way, i need to go in about ten minutes...”

“You... You what?” I huffed.

“Sorry! I have my own job, but don’t worry i have someone else to take my place.”

“And who might that be?” I played dumb, already knowing the answer.

“Harry, listen i’m really sorry i can’t spend more time with you. It’s just so hectic at work at the moment and i really need to be there. I understand, you may not like Harry because he’s a boy and well they are all ‘gross’ but don’t worry, you’ll get used to him, eventually.” She trailed. “But we can spend more time together soon? How about we go shopping next time we’re both free?” She suggested.

“Yeah, i suppose.” I answered dimly.

Harry. Honestly, i wouldn’t mind anyone else but him. There is something about him that makes my skin crawl. I don’t know what or why but for some unknown reason, it does.

“I have to go now; Harry will be in like five minutes, okay?” Cleo smiled.

“Okay, bye.”

“See you tonight?”

“Where else would i be?” I fake smiled.

I need to find a new place to spend my time, like a bar. I need to spend less time with a soppy couple and more time trying to figure things out. I just don’t know where or how yet.

The door shut behind Cleo, i watched her tiptoe around the puddles, through the window. Why was she with Harry? She seemed so delicate and happy. She seemed like the sort of girl who either did or will spend her life in a room full of rainbows and unicorns. As stereotypical as that sounded, i felt like everyone had already been labelled. Fawner as caring, Cleo as delicate, Alec as a joker, me as lost and Harry... I don’t know about him. I could say creepy, or mysterious but i normally got hauled in by ‘mysteries’ but in this case, i’m not.