Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Kiara

I hum vaguely to myself as I place a final sugared violet atop Martha's three tiers and take a step back to admire my handiwork.

"I definitely prefer you when the sun is shining, Kiara." Jamison observes, walking up behind me. "And that is beautiful." He adds.

I nod absently.

"It is going to be a good day." I say.

Jamison laughs. Behind him the hog continues to turn of its own accord, the spit suspended only by his magic. Somehow, it does not seem as terrible today.

"You had a lot of people talking mid-week." He says, "I stand to make my fortune by the end of the ceremony."

"Why?"

Jamison shrugs, still admiring Martha's wedding cake from his vantage point over my shoulder.

"A lot of people did not believe you would be of a mind to be attending this afternoon."

I scowl.

"Martha is the only family I have," I say, "and one of few enough friends. Any man that thinks I would not be attending is a fool."

"Perhaps," Jamison concedes, "and my thoughts exactly." He says, "But not many know your personality as I do, Kiara, and far more know Callum's opinion of you."

"He makes Martha happy." I say. And, because it is her wedding day, I manage to keep the bitterness out of my voice.

"He really does." Jamison adds, with a twinge, that slight edge that just manages to make the words a warning.

"I'm going." I say. "And I shan't do anything to upset her." I chuckle. "He is under strict instruction to dole out pain to all and any that might ruin her day. I really desire to give him neither the pleasure nor the excuse."

Jamison sighs, as though he really were worried.

"She will have moved everything out of your house already." He says, "If you are concerned about sleeping alone tonight, there are blankets at mine."

I am already shaking my head before he has finished his kind words.

"Thank you," I say, "but no. I will be fine, I do not wish to upset your wife."

"You don't scare her, you should know that by now." He says.

"Yes, I know." I smile, turning to face him properly as I wipe icing sugar from my hands. "She diagnosed me when I was little. I have not forgotten."

Jamison chuckles.

"You should have." He says, "You were only eight."

It does not matter that I was only eight. It was one of the most traumatic days of my life.

"I have to get going or I'll be late." I say.

"She still asks about you sometimes, Kiara."

I smile and try politely to escape. The best way for me to remain in a good mood is to simply forget about my condition until the ceremony is over.

"She knows you still have magic in you, Kiara. I know too. She honestly believes it will just come back one day."

I try and smile again but this time it is just a little too forced.