Chapter 10

Mine and Kyle's heavy breathing was the only thing that filled the silent air as we tried to catch our breath from fighting. For a few moments, we didn't say a word. Kyle's eyes found the feather still stuck in my leg and he climbed to his feet. He lifted me from the floor and gently placed me down on the couch. The moment reminded me of the time I had been shot by a manticore and Kyle tended the shard in this very spot.

He gently touched the area around the bronze as he examined it carefully. "Carson, are you hurt?" he asked without looking away from the wound.

Carson shuffled to his feet behind Kyle. "No, I am fine."

Kyle nodded and looked at me. "This is going to hurt." I nodded and accepted Carson's hand when he reached it out to me. I closed my eyes and waited. A second later, Kyle pulled the feather out of my leg and I whimpered in pain. "Carson, get the first aid box off the coffee table." Kyle touched the area around the wound and the pain immediately subsided. My brother nodded and left me, returning the moment later with a box.

Kyle did his best in the next few minutes to clean the wound, stitch it and wrap it up. Once he was done, he returned the box to where it belonged and helped me sit up. I watched his worry turn to anger and frustration. His muscles tensed and he took deep breaths to keep himself in control. "Why did you go out there by yourselves? Riley, you know that Stymphalian Birds stay in that area."

I sighed, avoiding his furious eye contact. "We were bored and I offered to show Carson where we fought Terran," I explained.

"You knew better, though. Especially not to go without getting Carson a weapon first." His words were hard and filled with rage.

"I know, I'm sorry," I gave in.

He nodded. "Carson, Dylan is down at the head house. You should go tell him that we are okay," Kyle spoke, not looking at him.

"Kyle, it wasn't her fault," Carson started.

Kyle looked at him, completely frustrated. "I wasn't asking, Carson. Go tell Dylan," he ordered. Carson slowly nodded and after a hesitation, he left. "Why would you go down there without getting a weapon first," he asked, slightly calmer.

I shrugged. "It was a spur in the moment kind of thing. We were bored so we went."

"If you really wanted to go, you could've gotten me or Dylan to go with you," he reasoned.

I shook my head. "You were both busy. I didn't want to bother you," I told him honestly.

He sighed, finally calming all the way down. He leaned back in the couch and looked at me. "You could've been killed," he spoke with a deep breath.

I smiled. "But we weren't," I reminded him.

He playfully scoffed, not being able to hold back the smile forming on his face. "Only because I came to the rescue."

I rolled my eyes. "As always."

He chuckled and stood from the couch. He disappeared into the kitchen and returned with a vial clutched in his hand. He handed it to me. "It will ease the pain." I took it and drank the contents, already knowing it was nectar. In seconds, the pain subsided and it felt as if my leg didn't have a wound. "Come on."

He helped me stand and with a little struggle, we made our way down to the head house to meet up with Dylan and Carson. We received a few curious looks from demigods as we walked through the circle of houses, but Kyle dismissed them and told them there was nothing to worry about.

I followed behind Kyle as we walked inside the head house. I immediately caught my brother's eyes. His expression silently asked me if everything was okay. I gifted him a small smile and nodded. "Are you okay?" Dylan asked, gesturing to my leg. I nodded. "Your leg will heal quicker if you keep weight off it." He assisted me in sitting down at the dining room table, even after I told him I didn't need the help. "Riley, you know better than to venture off into the woods without me or Kyle."

I rolled my eyes and leaned back in the chair. "I know, I know. I won't do it again." Dylan nodded, satisfied with my reply. "Where were you this morning?" I asked him. "You didn't answer your phone."

"I was talking to my dad. He met me at the northern border."

"Why?"

"I told him about the attack on you and Kyle yesterday. He said we should be more careful, it could happen again."

We nodded. "Yeah, we need to take extra precautions on Safe Haven," Kyle agreed.

"You should make an announcement about everything we need to do for extra security," Dylan recommended. Kyle nodded and walked to the intercom on the wall. He took a few moments to gather everything he wanted to say before he held down the button on the system.

"On account from a recent attack near the border, new precautions will be needed around Safe Haven," he announced. "I'm sure by now, everyone knows what took place during the attack. The attacker of yesterday's ambush is still unknown. The only thing we know is: the demigod did not live in Safe Haven. Until further notice, I want double the amount of patrollers watching the border around the clock. No demigod is allowed to leave the haven alone. You must have another demigod with you and you both have to be armed. If you have a report or any questions, please contact Dylan or me. Thank you."

***

I hope you enjoyed. If you have any predictions, please comment them:)

Thanks for reading, don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT your opinions!

**Until next time:)) ~Emily