Something Needs To Change

Chyna

   I go into Uncle Sean's house. When I walk in, I see Uncle Sean, Justin, Brandon, Uncle Sean's wife.....and Corahn. When we make eye contact, I turn around to leave back out the door.

  "Chyna," Justin stops me at the door. "Don't run from this....y'all need to talk and you need to talk now. You don't understand what Corahn almost did for you. He loves you, you need to fix this. Something needs to change."

   "Justin, what the hell are you talkin' about?"

   "Me, Justin, and Corahn went over to Mike's last night. Corahn started beatin' his ass then pulled out a gun and almost killed him. He was talkin' about getting Chris, too. If Marisol hadn't have been there, we wouldn't have been able to stop him."

   Marisol! That's the other girl! He called me her name at the club, now I know why that name was so familiar! She stopped my brother from being stupid, she must be a sweet girl...

   "So where's Marisol? I wanna tell her thank you..."

   "I'm goin' to pick her up from the hospital later."

    "Hospital...?"

    "She was shot..."

    "Oh my god."

    "No no no! Corahn didn't shoot her...she made Corahn drop the gun but then Mike picked it up and was about to shoot her...Corahn rushed him then there was a struggle for the gun and it went off. The bullet hit her in the shoulder so she's fine."

   "Damn, well when she comes home, I wanna meet her."

   "Alright. Well for right now, you need to talk to your brother. Sit down." He motions me to the couch.            

    "Chyna, this is my wife, Maia. Maia, this is my niece Chyna. She's Corahn's sister."

    "Nice to meet you, Chyna. Sean, we should let the kids talk," They leave.

    "Corahn, I'm sorry about what I said at the hospital and I'm sorry I got involved in the club....but you CANNOT keep trying to fix everything and save me. What happened to me is what happened to ME! I have to deal with that, not you."

   "Chyna, I made a promise. I need to keep it."

   "That promise is ruining your life. You're holding onto that promise and it has to be let go. As a big brother, I know you're always gonna wanna protect me, that's just how it is, but you need to live your life."

   "You seem to be forgetting that I watched you be raped when I was twelve!"

    "Are you kidding me? I never forgot! You're forgetting that I was 10, and it was ME who got raped. I never forget, there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about that...and the baby..." I choke on the last words, my voice cracking as tears build in my eyes and a cry builds up in my throat.

     "Chyna, what the fuck are you talkin' about? What baby?"

     "A couple days after you left....I got sick and started cramping....and bleeding....a couple days later....I wasn't pregnant anymore."

    "But you were only 10...you got your...?" A tear falls from his eye. I've never seen Corahn cry before.

    I nod. He gets up off his couch and sits next to me, we hug. Once I stop crying, "We have to go home,"

   "I don't live there. That's your home, not mine."

   "Well you need to go see mom."

   "Fine..."