Anger

We headed back to Eli's. I was carrying a large Styrofoam container with the breakfast that I wasn't able to finish.

About half way back to the house, I asked about something that had been running around in my head since yesterday. "Eli, your house didn't get in bad shape overnight. It's been like this for a long time. Why haven't you hired someone to fix it before now?"

He thought for a moment, stopped and looked me in the eye. "The right person never came along."

A bit confused, I asked, "Aren't there people around here who need the work?"

"I didn't give you the job because you needed money to eat."

I gave him a puzzled look.

"You've got something worse than hunger gnawing away at your gut."

I didn't like where this was going. I hated being psychoanalyzed whether it was by friends, neighbors, or psychiatrists with their theories and their psychobabble.

I let the topic drop and we walked in silence the remainder of the way.

I wanted to leave and not come back, but I needed the money. Looking very put out, Eli took my leftovers to place in the refrigerator and didn't return for hours. He left me alone to take out my anger and frustration on the house – and I did.

----- Author's Note -----

This is a short chapter, but we begin to see why Eli decided to hire the narrator. What is Eli's motivation?

The narrator reacts strongly to Eli's comment about something more than hunger gnawing at him. Why do you think this bothers him?

Thanks for reading. Please vote and send any comments my way.