Song of Life and Death

As I walked the highway from Eli's, there was an eeriness to the late daylight. Dark clouds were building to the west and the sun setting behind them painted the edges of the ominous, black clouds with a counterpoint of brilliant white. I walked on in this strange twilight.

At the lane, I paid close attention to the dusty sections. Nothing. I continued to check along the entire length. There were no signs of foot or car traffic. As I passed the sensor tucked back in the trees, I wondered if the light had come on in the cabin. I decided to test it. I unlocked the cabin door and left it open so that I would be able to see inside. I walked back and passed the sensor headed toward the cabin. A few seconds later as I rounded the trees into the clearing, I could see the lighted doorway. It worked. I returned to the cabin. A few seconds later, the light went out. I was already feeling better.

Night was stealing through the trees quickly, and I could hear the faint rumble of thunder in the distance. There was something fascinating and beautiful about lightning. I dragged one of the chairs out into the clearing to watch the approaching light show accompanied by the orchestra of frogs. The storm was still distant. The trees blocked my view, but there were occasional flickers against the clouds above. As the light and sound moved to the north, it looked like the storm was going to miss us, but I could see more to the west as well. As the mosquitoes joined the party, I decided to call it a night.

The long stretch of sleepless nights was catching up with me. I actually felt drowsy. I locked the door, propped the chair below the doorknob, and switched off the lights. The frogs sang of love and hate, life and death. I fell asleep.

----- Author's Note -----

"I fell asleep." Another nightmare coming or something else?

"The frogs sang of love and hate, life and death." Foreshadowing?

Please vote and comments are welcome.