Paying a Debt

The sky was just beginning to lighten. Last night's storms were a cooler, purple-clouded memory on the eastern horizon. Lacey fringes of pink lit up their edges. Deeper purple clouds with neon pink edges floated overhead as we arrived at the bus station. It was actually a truck stop, a long squat building with a twenty-four-hour restaurant on one end and a convenience store on the other. A bus line ticket counter was located on the convenience store side.

Sitting with Eli in the parking lot, I pulled out the three envelopes. The top one was addressed to Deputy Jeb Barksdale with the sheriff's office address. I held it up so that Eli could see the name. "Guess I don't need this one. I took care of the explanation in person." I tore up the envelope with the letter intended for Jeb inside.

I handed the other two envelopes to Eli, both addressed to the Criminal Investigation Division, Virginia State Police. "Give one of these to Molly. Tell her the story and what to do with this letter if Jeb comes near you or her. Eli, tell her how sorry I am, but I can't stay."

Eli nodded his head.

"You and Molly watch out for each other."

Eli smiled faintly. "You know that Molly's going to be devastated once she finds out that you're gone."

I shook my head. "I doubt that. If she doesn't already know about my past, she will soon. I'm sure she'll be glad to see me out of her life."

Eli smirked, "You're wrong, Joe. You're going to break her heart."

I sighed heavily. "Well, that's not what I want. But whether I'm wrong or right, I'd rather break her heart than put her in danger. I'm a lightning rod and everything near me is scorched by the lightning's strike."

Eli looked off in the distance, somewhere far beyond the parking lot, somewhere far into the past. "I understand, Joe, but I can tell you all too well about the specters that torment you when you break someone's heart. It's a weighty regret that you are shackled with the rest of your life." His eyes grew moist as, unseen, the painful memories danced and chanted again before him. Eli blinked back the tears, turned, and gave me a weak smile.

He extended his hand. "Joe, I've only known you for a few days, but you're already one of my favorite people. You need to come back some day and finish the house."

I shook his hand and smiled. "I'm sure that you'll find the right person to finish what I started." I reached into my pocket and pulled out the small roll of bills remaining from my few days of work. I would need most of it for the bus ticket, but I laid forty-five dollars on the seat between us. From my bag, I retrieved a folded piece of paper. Laying it on top of the money, I slid it toward Eli.

With an inquisitive look on his face, he asked, "What's this?"

I smiled, "Maybe someday I'll stop by for a visit."

Opening the folded paper, he smiled.

"Will you pick up my watch from Willard's?"

He carefully folded the pawn paperwork and tucked it in his shirt pocket. Sliding the forty-five dollars back toward me, he replied, "You keep the money, Joe. You're going to need it." I just stared at the bills and shook my head. He picked up the money and, placing it in my hand, continued, "Keep this. I still owe you."

"I'm pretty sure you've paid me for every hour," I protested.

He chuckled. "Not for the painting. I owe you for helping a cynical old man find hope."

"I'm sorry. I'm lost."

"You and I are from different backgrounds, but we're not so dissimilar." His signature wry smile crept across his face. "We're both haunted by our past. But you're not the same lost soul that wandered into Duke's a few days ago. I can feel it." His smile broadened. "There's hope for you, Joe. And if there's hope for you, then there's hope for a foolish old man who screwed up his life so many years ago. You've shown me that." He paused. "That's a debt that I probably will never be able to repay." He squeezed my fist tightly around the bills. "You keep the money." He patted the papers in his pocket. "The watch is on me. It will be waiting for you when you come back."

Eli smiled and sighed, "Well, you've got a bus to catch." He took in a deep breath, "and I've got a granddaughter to meet."

I flashed him a big smile.

As I slid out of the passenger seat, Eli called after me, "Take care of yourself,John Smith." I grinned back and waved as I crossed the parking lot.

--- -- Author's Note -----

Why do you think Eli believes that Joe is different now?

Do you think Eli helped Joe as much as Joe helped Eli?

There are two more chapters, but this is a good time to ask the next question. What was it about Molly and Jeb in the diner that first morning that changed the arc of Joe's life?

In the Road to Hell, after Joe's confrontation with Jeb, he has a flashback to Si. What's the connection?

Please vote and comments are welcome.