Surprises

I woke, startled. What was that noise? Groggy, I searched the dark through heavy eyelids. It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust. There was just enough light for me to make out objects. The air conditioner was sputtering and coughing. Something dark lay on the floor below it. I stumbled through the cabin and flipped the light switch. My anxiety washed away as I looked down at the front cover of the air conditioner lying on the floor. As I picked it up, I noticed that only two of the four plastic clips that held it in place were still intact. They sat on opposite corners, just enough to hold it in place. I suspected that the vibration caused them to let go. I snapped it back in place and hoped for the best.

Slumping onto the edge of the bed, I ran my fingers through my hair. These sleepless nights were killing me. I went to the fridge and pulled out a beer. I sipped it slowly hoping that, over time, it would work its sedative magic. Surprisingly, it did and I lay down for the second time that night. Sleep came as a welcome friend, but she dressed in gowns of fitful dreams. We danced a disquieting waltz as I tossed and turned in the dark.

I woke to the sun already above the trees. Exhausted, I had slept longer than I wanted, so I hurried to get ready. Once I was dressed, I put a second set of clothes in my bag, slung it over my shoulder and stepped out of the door. Still spooked by the tire tracks from the day before, I looked carefully around the cabin before heading down the dirt lane. I snapped a low hanging pine branch that was loaded with needles and used it as a broom. As I came to dusty patches in the lane, I brushed away any trace of tires or footprints. It was very simple, not exactly MacGyver, but I thought that it was an ingenious way to get a fresh read on any traffic down the lane.

When I arrived at Eli's, there were several cans of primer and exterior paint sitting on the front porch. I remembered seeing an old drop cloth folded up in the shed and headed back to get it. I lifted the monster ladder on one shoulder and carried the drop cloth under the opposite arm as I headed around front, two paint brushes sticking up out of my back pocket. When I turned the corner, Eli was shuffling up the walkway from the road. He paused and folded his arms, looking up at the stripped and shutterless side of the house. His face was deeply furrowed and reflected the weariness of a restless night.

"Been out this morning?" I queried.

He nodded, still gazing at the house. "There was a newspaper and cup of coffee with my name on it at Duke's. Couldn't pass it up."

He swept one hand toward the house. "Ah, the blank canvas. I can't wait to see your masterpiece."

I didn't share his enthusiasm. To me it was just work, hot work. I ignored his comment and spread the drop cloth, wrestled the ladder up to the side of the house, and popped the lid on the primer and stirred it. Preparation over, I headed up the ladder with the primer and a brush.

Eli stood watching as I ran the first brush stroke.

I asked, "So what's the surprise?"

I looked down. The old man had a cat-ate-the-canary smile on his face. He paused, and then replied, "All in good time, John Smith. All in good time. Let me know when you're finished priming." He disappeared through the front door.

I worked through the morning, slapping primer over splotchy areas of bare wood. This was considerably easier than scraping. By early afternoon, I had all the wood covered and ready for painting. I also looked like I had lost a paintball battle with white splatters on my arms, my face, and my clothes. The front of the house still looked splotchy, but two shades of white were better than white and bare wood.

I hammered the lid on the primer can and knocked on the front door.

"Finished?" Eli asked, as he laughingly looked me up and down. 

I nodded.

"I meant are you finished priming the house, not yourself."

I studied my splotchy arms and shirt with a sour look. Eli stepped out into the front yard to take it all in. He nodded his head in approval. "It's going to look real good when you're finished. Yes, sir, real good. Go ahead and clean up. We're going somewhere."

Stupidly, I asked, "Where?"

He cocked his head and gave me a you-should-know-better-than-to-ask look.

"OK, OK," I said as I gathered up the paint buckets and toted them back to the shed. Once everything was back in its proper place, I went to the door and knocked again. Eli appeared and gave me the once over. "Did you bring the change of clothes I told you to bring?"

Holding up my bag, I said, "Of course."

He shot back, "Of course, nothin'. You're about as stubborn and contrary as they come."

I gave him a blank stare and waited.

"Come on in. Get showered and changed. I can't take you out looking and smelling like you do."

I was a bit surprised, but I followed him into the house. The interior was in much better shape than the outside. There was a central hallway leading toward the back of the house. To the left, there was a spacious sitting room with a large Victorian style sofa along the far wall. Expensive looking end tables sat on either side and a long coffee table sat in front of it. Nearer the door and facing the sofa were two comfortable looking Victorian style chairs. Heavy floral draperies hung in the windows. The colors matched and complemented the expensive looking upholstery of the furniture. The house had been built in a time when wooden floors were the default for construction, so hardwood floors ran throughout.

To the right of the hallway was a large office. The far wall consisted entirely of bookcases filled with neatly arranged volumes. A large mahogany desk sat, facing the doorway, in front of the wall of books. A big older model computer and monitor sat on one end. Behind the desk was a plush leather chair. The desk was neatly arranged with a leather-trimmed blotter, a leather pen and pencil holder and mahogany file trays. Two large leather armchairs sat across from each corner of the desk. They were angled to face the person sitting behind the desk.

Eli led me down the hall to a stairway. "Up the stairs and to the right, you'll see a bathroom. You should find everything you need in there. We'll head out once you're dressed."

I headed up to shower. What I saw upstairs matched what I had already seen, neat and nicely furnished.

----- Author's Note -----

A nicely furnished home, an office. Who is Eli?

The narrator's impression of Eli is that he likes to be in control? Does he come across that way?

What is the surprise?

Thanks for reading and please vote if you are enjoying the story. Comments are always nice.