Caution

By the time I left Eli's, I had removed all of the loose paint on the front of the house. It was ready to prime and paint. The muscles in my arms and shoulders were on fire. I was looking forward to the switchover to painting. Eli promised that he would have the paint ready for me in the morning and promised a surprise. He told me to bring a change of clothes. When I gave him an inquisitive look, he held up his hand. "Just do it, OK?" Eli liked being in charge.

Carrying my breakfast leftovers and with an extra thirty dollars in my pocket, I headed into town. Two blocks past Duke's there was a combination gas station and mini-mart. It stood at the intersection that gave Bethany Crossing its name. The sole traffic light in the town hung in the center of the intersection, a single yellow caution light, flashing.

The mini-mart looked empty. There were no cars at the pumps or in the parking spaces. I stepped thankfully into the air-conditioned store. There was a girl sitting behind the counter watching a small portable TV. I didn't recognize the show, but I could tell it was a soap opera of some sort. She looked up and, seeing me, smiled as she turned from the show.

"Hey, sugar, what can I do for you?"

She was slender with shoulder length bleach-blonde hair. She was maybe in her mid-twenties. Her tight, low-cut V-neck blouse and push-up bra created the illusion of cleavage and her skinny jeans fit like they were painted on her.

I glanced around the store commenting, "Just came in to pick up some food and beer."

She stepped out from behind the counter and flashed me a flirty smile as she passed just a little too close, saying, "I'll help you find whatever you want." I was pretty sure that she intended to walk in front of me so that I could check her out. She stopped several times to show me where the lunchmeat, the bread, the mayonnaise and the beer were located. Each time she seemed to stand just a little too close and the store wasn't big enough to warrant a guided tour. I picked up a few things and as my arms became full, she offered to help carry them to the check out.

Back at the register, before she started ringing up the items, she sensed that she had me captive.

"Are you the guy staying at the Grover's old place?" Ah, small towns. Your business is everybody's business.

I really wasn't interested in conversation. I just kept it simple, "Yep."

"How long you plan on being here?"

Again, I wanted to shut down the prying so I just said, "Not sure."

"Well," she said as she started ringing up the items, "My name's Amber. Come by here anytime. I'll be glad to help you find whatever you want." She was twirling several strands of hair around her index finger and smiling at me. Somehow, I didn't think she was talking about the merchandise in the store. I picked up my bag and six pack and pushed outside into the heat coming off the asphalt. I trudged through the late day haze back to my little cabin home.

As I turned down the dirt lane, I was alarmed to find fresh tire tracks. Someone had driven to the cabin. Who would go back there and what were they looking for? The only answer that made sense was Jeb. He must have remembered where he had seen me. He had come back looking for me. He might be there waiting for me now. I tried to calm myself. Maybe I was just paranoid. Maybe someone turned down the lane by mistake. I couldn't take any chances. As I neared the cabin, I stepped into the trees and slowly made my way staying concealed by the underbrush. I reached a point where I could see the cabin without being seen. There was no car. Staying in the trees, I circled around the front of the small clearing that held the cabin. Now, I could see the other side of the tiny building. Everything still seemed OK. I finally felt confident enough to approach the door. It was locked, just as I had left it.

Peering through one of the windows, everything seemed to be in order. I was still unsettled, but started to feel that maybe I was overreacting. I unlocked the door and stepped in, my eyes darting around warily. It was the same bleak, safe little room that I had left earlier in the day.

I put away the items from the mini-mart and decided to eat my breakfast left overs for supper. After, I dragged my chair outside and sat in the little clearing, listening to the frogs while I sipped on a bottle of beer. The clearing created a ragged oval opening into a dark sky above with brightly sparkling stars. The moon was in a waning phase and cast less light each passing night. I stayed outside until I got tired of swatting mosquitoes and then dragged my chair back inside. I should have bought mosquito repellant at the mini-mart. Maybe Amber could help me find it. I chuckled to myself at the thought.

I drank another beer, hopeful that the alcoholic anesthesia would numb me to the evening's painful shadows. I decided to leave the air conditioner on and forego the symphony outside. As a precaution, after locking the door, I propped one of the chairs under the doorknob.

Despite the alcohol, I lay on the bed a long time waiting for sleep to come. Eventually it crept into my head.

: