27 - C O M E / T O G E T H E R

//i know i'm late with this! i'll give you another chap tomorrow!//

I never knew being warm would be so rewarding. Of course, I knew it would make me feel better, just not this much better. Having company may have contributed to my current zen-like mindset, too.

Mason and Jared are bombarded with questions from just about everyone. Brink shoves a thousand their way, but they aren't shy to do the same back. They think they're living in some alternate universe right now; Jared keeps thinking he's asleep and isn't afraid to give himself a few smacks across the face. Regardless, Brink draws information from them easily, finds out how much of a threat they'd pose to anyone. He told me a while ago he's surprised they've lasted this long, being the boys they were. They never take anything seriously, no planning, just doing. I agree.

"If you were to gauge the population, what would you say?" Brink suddenly questions, and I pause my breathing to listen in.

"Uh...ten thousand maybe? I don't know. Maybe five. It's rare to see someone, but not unexpected. Definitely more in the dead cities. The big cities are either storage for the dead, or they have a few regulars roaming around. Hit or miss. Everything's a hit or miss really. 'Cept D.C."

Mason has already informed everyone else on D.C. and it's dangers, but the Five seems to not care. My mom's face said she was scared, but determined. We only have one shot at building an army there. There's really nowhere else to turn.

Brink holds his hand out to shake Mason's for a thanks, but Mason is skeptical. "If I touch you, are you going to shoot me with a laser or something?"

Brink chuckles, glances at me from across the way, and answers. "Only if you want me to."

Mason shakes his hand and Brink stands, giving a little advice with an awkward face. "You should check your clothing. They might be almost dry."

Mason and Jared nod and exchange funny glances with each other before getting up and waddling over to the large fire where their clothes are roasting next to mine.

Brink rejoins me then, his face all smiley but tired. He crashes down at my side, throws his arm over my shoulder and leans his entire body against me. When I feel the tickle of his breath on my neck, I giggle and push him away.

"I'm exhausted," he admits with a sigh, staring into the fire.

"Me too."

I glimpse at Stella who's bouncing off the walls with energy and only feel more drowsy as I watch her enthusiasm with each move she makes, each word she speaks. I can't keep up, and I find myself pressing my hands to my face and slumping forward, ready to pass out.

I'd treaded water for my life back there and my body has been shivering for the past four hours. The strength I have inside is withering away, and I just need a good night's rest.

Hands are on my shoulders before Brink gradually steers the top half of my body into his lap. I'm so tired, I don't bat an eye, just accept it and snuggle up. The smooth latex-feel of his gloves glides across my hair and strokes the side of my cheek as I close my eyelids and smile at the gesture. I could get used to this.

"How'd it go with you and Travis?" Brink says in a low, velvety voice. "Aside from all the crazy," he clarifies.

I shrug in his lap. "Wasn't great. He pretended nothing ever happened. Didn't really change at all. Now I'm just more pissed."

His fingertips continue to brush alongside my jaw and near my ear. "So where do you stand?" he pries. I know he wants to know if we're officially done, if we've broken up, but technically we haven't. I'm not opposed to the idea though. This feels like the final straw for me.