37 - F E A S T

//rewritten, please read

The Great Room speaks for itself. Aside from its tremendous size, the decorations take my breath away. All that glitters is gold...and silver and green and red. Sparkly lights bounce off colorful tinsel and faux holly berries. Grand white tablecloths clothe the never ending tables and provide a base for all of the mini pine tree centerpieces and Christmas confetti spread out on top of them. Ornaments are everywhere the eye can see, in every color and shape imaginable. Some dangle from the crystal chandeliers while hundreds more hook along the faux branches of the immense tree in the center of the room, reaching the ceiling with ease.

President Thompson takes her position behind the podium in front of the crowd of thousands--everyone must be here. I frantically scan the audience, searching for familiar faces, whether it be my mom, Jada, anyone I can recognize. Unfortunately, it's nothing but a sea of faces, everyone dressed in identical attire, leaving me lost. Even Stella is nowhere to be found.

My hands shake as I take my position behind the president, trying to hide as much as I physically can. Madam President silences the crowd with a mere wave and begins, making my once-steady breath zig and zag.

As she talks, I continue my search for familiarity. For comfort. Someone to put me at ease.

"Are you here?" I ask Stella.

I spot a small wave in the crowd and my eyes lock on Stella's bob of hair, directly beside Zeriah. But no Brink.

"Where's Brink?"

"—who would like to share a few words. Aurora?" The president calls and I become solid stone.

Great. My turn. I wasn't even listening.

"Um...hi everyone," I speak into the microphone. "My name is Aurora. I'd first like to thank President Thompson for her hospitality. She has been very accommodating to our situation and it means a lot. I hope you will all welcome us with open arms and hearts. It's been a ride getting here, and we're glad we could make it." I release a massive breath, and the unwanted staticky sounds spreads across the room, causing some to wince. In a hurry to get this over with, I cut my time short and finish with my given words. "Tonight we celebrate love, life, and the almighty. I wish all you so much joy this special Christmas season." I glance over at the president, and she gives an encouraging smile. "Without further ado, let the festivities begin!"

The crowd reactions variously. Some cheer, some are on the verge of tears. Others scurry to a table and some act like they don't care about anything. I step down from the podium with wide, embarrassed eyes and disappear into the crowd, looking to reach Stella's side as soon as possible to avoid any conversation. Among the unrecognizable faces, I manage to find my mother, dawdling around the room with an anxious expression.

"Honey! Aurora, baby!"

I turn to my left and spot my crazy mess of a mother reaching out for me.

"Mom!" Tears well up in my eyes as I pick up my pace and throw my arms around her, my heart racing. "It's so good seeing you, Mom! I'm so happy you're okay," I mumble into her bony shoulder. "I've missed you."

She's transforms into a sobbing wreck when we part. Her strawberry hair is scraggly and untamed, and I now notice how deep her wrinkles have gotten. "Oh sweetheart, you were so wonderful speaking. You made me so proud. I love you so much."

My throat locks. "I love you, too," I squeak out.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I catch green and yellow gradually heading my way. When the other Five come into view, my mother reaches out for Stella. "How are you doing, sweetie?"