Chapter 6 : Plan Big

Elly

 They went out for a long time. I was anxious minute by minute. We hadn't heard any gunshots, which was a relief, but still it made me feel apprehensive that they weren't back yet. I walked back and forth across the room, and it bothered people that some of them had to drag me to sit back down. However, within minutes I was back up and walking across the floor again.

    "Elly, can you just sit down?" Kuki said.

    "No," I responded. "I don't think I can."

    "Do we need to glue your butt to the floor or what?" Iris snapped.

    "Probably," I said.

    Dream grabbed my wrist and dragged me down to the floor. "Sit down, Elly. Walking around won't help but get people dizzy. Think of something else. Distract your mind," she told me.

    I sighed. I sat there, on the ground, trying to think of something that my brain would deeply fall into. I gazed out into the darkness, and slowly started thinking about anything else, but the current situation.

    For some reason, I started thinking about my last relationship with this guy named Sam. Our relationship was precious, but it was sad. I remembered those sweet moments we had together. He knew me more than I knew myself. He knew how I looked when I cry, he knew how I looked when I smile, he knew how I looked when I laugh, he knew how I looked in every situation, when I didn't. His words were beautiful. Everything was beautiful and bright with him in it. However, our relationship ended with no explanations and reasons.

    "I feel like we should end it right here," he said.

    "What do you mean?" Suddenly I could feel everything starting to burn up in my body.

    It was a warm afternoon, the weather was about 50 degrees that day, and it was the beginning of spring, and we were still wearing coats. We were at the park in his neighborhood, sitting on the bench after playing basketball together. As always, he won and I lost. He was holding my hand still when he said those words. He was looking into my eyes. The situation just didn't make any sense.

    "We should end our relationship right here and now," he clarified. He wasn't frowning or smiling. There was no emotion on his face. Usually I could tell what was going on in his mind by looking at his face. However, that day, he became unpredictable.

    I laughed, even though I felt like I was on fire. "You're kidding, aren't you?" I said.

    He wasn't laughing along with me. He wasn't smiling his goofy smile. He wasn't joking around like he always did. He was looking at me straight in the face. He was serious.

    "I'm sorry," he started explaining. "I don't think our relationship will work out."

    "Why? Why do you think that? Tell me, Sam. Why? Who told you to break us up? We're doing fine right now, we're perfectly fine. We could go on for years. Why would you end it now?" I raised my voice. I was angry and frustrated. Nothing was making a complete sense to me.

    "I'm sorry, Elly," he had let go of my hand. He had looked at the ground, his gaze wasn't at me anymore. He had let go of me.

    "Why are you sorry? This is just a prank, isn't it? Sam!" My eyes were now blinded with tears.

    He gave me a last hug, then started walking away. Just like that, our relationship was over, everything between us was over. I remembered sitting on the bench, crying for hours until my mother called me, asked why I wasn't home and where I was. Days after that, I didn't talk to anyone or make eye contact. I was sad for a long time.