Chapter 1

Beca

"I just don't understand why we have to do this!" Once again my mother and I were arguing over the stupid ball that was going on in the town ballroom tonight. "Because you must look nice, your future is becoming known tonight. You'll find out what you'll be doing for the rest of your life on this very night." I sigh and roll my eyes. She didn't understand my confusion. I wasn't in wonder because I had to look nice, I was in wonder on why they hold this stupid ball every year. Let me give you some background on this situation. About 30 years ago someone decided we didn't have a perfect life style here in Georgia so they decided to create a new set of rules, or laws as they call it, to make sure we had the perfect lives. They made a book that had all the rules listed in it, no eating past 8, lights out at 9:30, all kids 15 and up must work, and my least favorite, once a child turns 17  he, or she, must attend a ball in which all names are put into a bowl and shuffled out, the name whom is picked must than marry the other person who is picked once they turn 18 years of age. It's a very complicated process, but pretty much I'm 17 and the ball is tonight. You can put the pieces together I'm sure. My whole world is based off a set of rules in a stupid book, it's completely insane, it's wrong, it's a world of horror.

Chandler

"How does this look?" I asked my father as I tried on my new tux. My whole body is shaking and I'm so nervous. Today I get to find out who I'm going to marry. I hope it's someone pretty and smart. "You look handsome, son." I just turned 17 a few weeks ago and now I have to attend this amazing ball that will tell me who I'm going to marry. It's like a chance system, destiny will chose the direction my life goes in and I just can't wait. My life is simple, I wake up and everything is already planed out. I don't have to sit and worry about how things are going to turn out because I already know. It's easy, it's simple. And today is just another simple task in my exceptionally simple life.

Edited