Ryden: The New Generation

Ship: Ryden

March 11, 2017

AU: School

Ryan looked out of his classroom window at the small crowd forming. It was the second time that month there had been protesters. He looked back at the kindergarten class. They were still hyper, though they had come back inside from recess five minutes before. "Alright guys, settle down. It's time to do our math."

The chaos raged on. Ryan took a good five minutes attempting to straighten the room before going to the front of the class. "C'mon. It's time to work. If we hurry up and finish I'll play you a song."

The children gradually calmed down, sitting at their tables that were littered with crayons and half coloured papers, which Ryan would have to clean once the kids, no, children (they were not, in fact, baby goats) left.

Ryan wrote a few addition problems on one side of the board and subtraction on the other. This was pretty much all he had in his lesson plans, making for an easy day as long as the children caught on quick and remembered how to do it.

"Everybody write these problems on your paper." The instructions were met with five hands being raised. Ryan turned to a girl on the left side of the room. "Yes?"

"I don't has a paper, Mr. Russ."

"You don't have a paper," he turned back to the rest of the class, "and if you don't have your paper come up here and I'll give you a piece or share with your neighbour." The hands that were raised went down and two children walked up to the front. Ryan supplied them with paper and sent them back to their desks.

He gave them fifteen minutes to write the problems down. "Does anyone need any more time?" When he saw no hands or chunky pencils scribbling hurriedly, he continued. "Would anyone like to work out this problem?"

Three hands went up and Ryan called on the first one he saw. The child bounced up to the front and Ryan handed him the chalk (Ryan had yet to get the white board he was promised at the beginning of the year, but it did give him an excuse to send one of the more excited children out of class to beat out erasers). The child wrote the answer on the board and looked up at Ryan. "I didn't even use my fingers!" He put his hands up and wiggled his fingers around as if to prove the point. Ryan praised him, giving him a piece of candy, and sent him back to his seat.

He continued this process, happy when he only had to correct one of the problems and explain it. The entire process took only 45 minutes. Ryan had another half hour blocked out for math, so he asked if there were any questions. There was no response and the calamity from earlier was coming back.

When the noise became uproarious and Ryan was afraid the other classes might be disturbed and he would get in trouble, he clapped the shave-and-a-haircut pattern that was used through the elementary school. The room almost instantly silenced as the children did two claps. Their rhythm was getting better. They could all pretty much clap in time together.

Ryan walked to the back of the room and pulled the acoustic out of the closet. He kept it stashed back there because: 1, the janitors didn't actually clean it and he could lock the door and 2, if the principal walked in, there was nothing suspicious about a locked storage room in a young classroom.

The children watched with mixed feelings, most of them happy or excited. "Get in your circle."

They rushed to the rug at the front of the classroom, sitting on their assigned numbers, which were conveniently placed in a circle. Ryan walked to the middle of the circle and sat down in an empty spot.

"Which song do you guys want?" He already knew the answer. It would be the same song they always requested, the one they had made up themselves (with help from the art teacher that came in once a week).