22. married

not a lot happens in this chapter, but it's important to move the plot along, kids. Enjoy!

Also please enjoy this 100% real photo of Vee and Fred being an old married couple and laughing at their own jokes okay continue

"This is going to hurt."

"I can take it."

"Okay, here goes."

"HOLY SHIT!"

When Remus' wand touches my chest, my entire body begins to throb and burn. He told me that putting my tail into Fred's necklace would be uncomfortable, but he didn't say it would be anything like this. "Okay, Vee. I want you to stay focused, and clear your mind. Listen to the sound of my voice, alright?" he says gently.

I close my eyes and lean back in my chair. "Mind is cleared. Shoot."

"I want you to imagine your powers. Feel it inside your veins. Try not to channel it like you usually do, but instead try to simply imagine it."

I can't exactly picture my powers, but I can see the bright violet hue it always gives off and the feeling it give me, and I think this is enough. "Got it," I mumble, trying to stay focused.

"I know you've never seen your tail before, but try to imagine that too. Imagine your fox form, and the tail it has. Visualize it as clearly as you can in your mind."

I try my hardest, and soon enough I have a pretty clear picture of my fox form with one long, glowing tail. "What next?"

"Hold your hands out behind you, and pretend that your fox form is corporeal. Other people can see it and touch it. Try to touch your tail."

I furrow my eyebrows in concentration. "It's not working!"

"You're not trying," Remus shoots back. "Keep going."

My breathing is becoming labored, and I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up for.

"Feel your tail, Venus," Remus says a little louder now, his voice tinged with excitement.

"Wait, what?" a second later, I feel it. A really soft, vibrating thing bursting with energy.

Remus mumbles something incoherently and I feel the tail vibrate even more, and then it fades. I open my eyes and he is standing in front of me, holding the locket. The eyes of the fox glow purple, and it shimmers in the yellow light of the late morning.

"Is that-?"

"Your tail? Sort of. We didn't amputate the fox's tail, we just channeled its energy into the locket. I've never seen your fox form properly, Vee. It's quite extraordinary."

"Thanks?"

"My pleasure. Now, take this chocolate and get to class."

**

There's a skip in my step as I arrive in the Great Hall for lunch that day. The locket sits perfectly where it has been for a while now, only now I feel the gentle energy radiating from it and into my body. I still feel as powerful, but I feel as if I can control it more, if that makes sense.

I take a seat beside Fred and he kisses my cheek in greeting, which makes me blush a little. Lee scowls, and Allie pretends to retch, but I don't care much. "So, what did I miss?" I ask as I grab a blueberry muffin from the table.