Chapter One - Childhood Memories

“Gabriella!” my stepmother screamed from the kitchen.  I was really nervous to face her.  As a seven years old, I have learnt how mean she could be with me; and since the birth of my half brother Marcus; everything got worse.

“Coming” I said as I ran down the stairs.  She was standing at the bottom of the stairs with her arms crossed over her chest.  I was trembling by the time I faced her.

“What’s this?” She said pointing to an empty glass on the floor.  That’s the glass I drank my milk from and I forget to wash it. InsteadI left it on the counter and apparently Amanda, my stepmother, knocked it with her arm and it went directly on the floor, spilling the leftover milk.

I watched her, my eyes wide open.  She grabbed me by my hair and pulled me to the floor. “Now you clean it!” she yelled and slapped me on the face.  I couldn’t stop the tears escaping my eyes.  Amanda hated me, and I didn’t know why.

“I want daddy.” I said between sobs. 

“Shut up! He isn’t coming home until next week.  Right now you are my responsibility and you have to learn how to behave and do things!”

She handed me a cloth and immediately, I started to clean it up.  After I finished, she sent me to my room without dinner.

I just fell on my bed, my tears still flowing from my eyes.  Looking through the windows, up to the stars I began remembering my mother.

“Mommy, why did you leave me?  Why did you have to die?  I really need you mom.  Amanda is so mean to me, and daddy is hardly ever home.  I want you to hold me again, to kiss me good night, and to tell me that you love me.”

There was no answer.  I knew my mom wouldn’t come back.  She died when I was four years old, in a car accident; and that was the moment I came to this house.  To this torture; although when my dad was home, Amanda is kind was me.

I really miss my mom, with all my heart.  She was so pretty.  I missed her black hair, her green big eyes, her sweet smile; the way she sang to me until I fell asleep, how she eased any pain I had.  Her sweet scent was still on my mind.  Dad always says that I look a lot like her; although my eyes are hazel and not so big like hers.

I fell asleep thinking about my mom.  I was deep in my dreams, when I felt someone touching my face.  I opened my eyes scared, to see my dad in front of me.

 “Daddy, you’re home!” I said while hugging him with all the strength a seven years old girl could have.

“Yes princess. I finished early with my meetings and came back.  I really missed you.” He kissed my forehead and hugged me again. 

“I missed you too daddy.” I couldn’t hide my happiness.  He was my father, and the only family I had except for my grandparents, my mom’s parents.  They lived so far, and I only saw them during Christmas and summer holidays.

“How was Marcus behaving?” he asked. 

“He is a good baby, although he cries most of the time.  When he is going to walk?” Dad laughed at my question.

 “Princess, he is only three months old, he has to learn to crawl before walking.  You just have to wait and be patient.”

I smiled widely “I can’t wait for him to walk.  I am going to teach him so many things!”

“And how was Amanda?  Did she take you to your dentist appointment?” I looked at him, I was afraid of Amanda, of the way she treated me; but my dad didn’t know and I knew that if I told him something, Amanda would be angry with me and dad will be sad; because he loved her so much.

“She was good as always. We went to the dentist yesterday, and everything was okay.”

It was still dark in my bedroom, so my dad turned on the lamp beside my bed.  When he looked at me he opened his eyes. “Princess, what happened to your face?”

At that moment I touched my cheek.  It hurt a lot, and then the memory of Amanda hitting me crossed my mind.  “Nothing, I was running, looking back and I hit a tree.”

My dad put his hand on my cheek “You have to be more careful” I put a fake smile on my face and said “I will”.

“Well, get some sleep.  Tomorrow you have school.  Sweet dreams my princess. I love you.” He kissed my nose.

“I love you too daddy.” And then he just got up, turned the light off and left my room closing the door behind him.

I was really happy my dad was back.  That means Amanda will be good to me….until dad has to go on a business trip again.  And from past experience, I knew it would be soon.