Chapter 2 - Sixteen Birthday

The picture on the right is how I see Gabriella now. 

************************************************************************* 

Today is my sixteenth birthday.  I am really happy because dad let me have this little party with my friends.  They hardly came here, because I’ve always been afraid of what Amanda could do to me.

Yes, she is still mean; she still hits me when my dad is not around.  I just learnt to live with it.  I get angry every time she hits me or says mean things to me; but I still hide it from dad.  I want him to be happy and he really loved her.

Once, she just pushed me down the stairs and I broke my leg.  She just told my dad that I was so clumsy and stepped on one of Marcus’ toys; losing my balance and fell.

That’s why I asked dad if I can spend every summer, since I was seven, at my grandparents.  And although he told me he will miss me badly, he agreed.  I was so happy to be with Grandma Ann and Grandpa Sam; they are so lovely, and they have a young spirit.  We have so much fun together during my summer holidays.

My phone rang, taking me from my thoughts. “Hello?” I said.

 “Hello honey…happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you…” My best friend Kelly started to sing.  Kelly is my best friend and she is like a sister to me.  She’s always by my side.

Although she is a very popular girl at school; she chooses to be my friend.  She is blonde, blue eyes, the model type.  The boys go crazy over her.  I am just a normal and typical teenage girl, and people at school know me because of Kelly. 

“Thanks, Kel.” I said laughing at her bad notes while singing. 

“I am coming to your house in an hour to help you to get everything set for the party.  Guess whose coming?” I just touch my face thinking of who will be.

“Who’s coming?” I just asked.

“Jeremy! And I think he likes you”

Looking at the mirror I said “Whatever Kel. That’s what you think.  Well, I’ll see you later.  I have to help Amanda with breakfast”.

While standing up and walking into the kitchen, I started thinking of Jeremy.  He is a boy from school; he’s so handsome; a total dream-boy.  He is tall, tanned, green eyes, brown hair; he’s on the basketball team, and he’s also very smart.  I like him, a lot; but I haven’t told tell anyone, not even Kelly. 

When I get to the kitchen, Amanda was making waffles.  Marcus was at the table, playing with his computer.  He’s now only nine years old and Amanda gives him everything he wants.  He has a computer, a cell phone, electronics games and he wears the best clothes. 

We don’t have a great relationship, since Amanda raised him almost hating me like she does.  I am hurt because he is my brother, not from the same mom; but we share the same dad, and I always dreamt to get along with him and be great friends.  He looks a lot like my dad, except he has grey eyes like Amanda.

“Look who woke up…Sleeping Beauty” said Marcus when I sat on one of the kitchen stools. 

“Is Andrew awake?” Amanda asked without looking at me.

 “I don’t know.” I answered shrugging my shoulders.

“What are you waiting for? Get your lazy ass up those stairs and wake up your father.  Breakfast is almost ready and don’t want it to get cold”

I just stood up and walked to their bedroom.  He was already awake, talking on his phone. 

“In a second.” he whispered and moved his hand signaling to sit by his side.  He kissed my forehead, and without interrupting the conversation he whispered again “Happy Birthday Princess” I just hugged him and stayed like that until he finished the call.

“Are you excited about your party tonight?” he asked with a smile on his face. 

“That’s for sure!” I answered while jumping a little with excitement. 

“Wow, my little princess is almost a woman.  In a couple of years you will leave this house to go to college.  I will miss you like crazy.”

You could see a little sadness in his eyes.  I really wanted to be out of this house.  I only likeed it when dad was here, but lately, he was away more on business and spent less time at home.   

My dream was to become a business woman, and help dad with his company.  After finishing college, I’d come back here, have my own house and be very successful.  I can’t wait to be away from Amanda.

“I am going to miss you too.  You are the best dad in the whole world!”

And with that I hugged him, pulling him to the floor and instantly he started tickling me.  We laughed and laughed until tears fell from our eyes. 

“What do you think you two are doing? Breakfast is getting cold.” Amanda said furiously walking out of the room. 

I looked at my dad and he said “Seems like the boss is angry.  Let’s go eat, to make her happy.  It’s rare to see her like that.  I don’t want her to get mad, especially not today. Not on my Princess’ birthday.” He stood up and helped me up. We both left the room holding hands.

After helping dad with the dishes, the doorbell rang. 

“I’ll get it” I said while running towards the door. Without looking who it was, I opened the door and I was met with a bear-hug. 

“Happy birthday Gaby! This is for you” Kelly said while putting a gift in my hand.

“Thanks, but you didn’t have to”

I opened the gift to find a picture frame.  It was silver with purple flowers all around it and said ‘Friends forever’. And there was a picture of Kelly and me at school on Valentine’s Day.  I really love this picture, we look so happy.

We went to my room and closed the door.  Sometimes Marcus wants to be annoying, and today was my day, and I don’t want to deal with his stupid things. 

“Tell me something. You like Jeremy, right? You can’t hide it, your eyes glow every time you see him.”

Looking at my friend, not knowing how hide or deny my feeling for Jeremy, I confessed. “Yes, I’ve liked him since seventh grade.  But he’s popular and smart.  He’s never going to see me more than a friend.”

“You’re silly…you haven’t seen the way he looks at you lately? I bet he likes you, a lot.  And I am going to help you both.”

I didn’t say anything; I know Kelly too well.  When she got an idea, she will do the impossible to make it real.  So, I just kept looking in my closet for the perfect outfit for tonight.

We were almost ready for the party, when my dad entered my room. 

“Just wanted to let you know that Amanda and I are going out for dinner.   Marcus is already at his friend’s house. We will be back by eleven, so I want you all to behave and have a great time.  The pizza will be here at eight. Love you Princess.”

 I gave him a big hug “Love you too, daddy.”He kissed my cheek and left.