Chapter 12 - Memories

When we got to the hospital, memories of the day my mom died started flashing in front of my eyes.  I tried to hold my tears as one of the hardest memories stuck on my mind.

After the police gave the news to my grandparents that my mom had the accident, we rushed to the hospital.  The nurses didn’t let them to go in the ICU, but I figured my way, since anybody was paying attention to me. 

I got in the room, and started crying when I saw my mom on that bed, with all those wires and machines.  She was sleeping, well, for me at that age, she was.  I walked to her side and grabbed her hand. 

“Mommy, are you going to be okay? You are coming home with me, right? What can I do to help you feel better? Kiss you?”

And I kissed her hand and put my face on it.  I felt her moving.

“Gaby? Is that you?”

“Yes mommy.  Are you okay?”

“I don’t know sweetie.  Where are grandma and grandpa?”

“Outside talking to the doctors and nurses.”

“And how you got here?”

“Nobody knows I am here. Are you going to die mommy?”

She breathed with some problem, and put a weak smile on her face.

“My love, I can’t tell you that. The only thing I could tell you, for sure, is that when I’m not here, your grandparents and your dad are going to take care of you; that they will love you forever.”

“I don’t want you to go, mommy.  Please, please, stay with me….forever.” I managed to say that between sobs.

“Honey, I love you….with all my heart and soul….and I will look for you from anywhere I go….I will always be ….with you. You are my angel.  I…love…you.” She stopped talking; breathing and the machines went crazy.

“Mom!!! Mommy!!! Wake up!!! Help, please….somebody help my mommy!!!”

Many nurses and doctors came to the room in a hurry.  One of the nurses grabbed my in his arms and took me out of the room. I started screaming.

“Mom, please stay with me!!! I need you mommy!!!”

I woke up of my memory when my grandma grabbed my hand.

“Are you okay, honey? We are near the room.”

“Yes, I am.” I said wiping my tears.

“Are you sure that you can handle being alone later?”

“Yes, I am sure of that.”

We opened the door of the room.  Melanie was sitting beside Sebastian’s bed.  He was sleeping and Sandra, Melanie’s mom, was on the other side of the bed.

“Melanie!” I whispered running towards her.

“Gabriella!”

We hugged each other for a while; letting our tears flow free and finding support on each other.  Her mom and my grandma walked near us and hugged us too.

“I missed you.” Melanie said hugging me again.

“Me too. Where’re Matthew and your dad?”

“They are eating something.  They will be here soon.”

“And how’s your cousin?”

“He is doing better.  The doctors said that if everything goes well, he could be home in a few days.”

“That’s great!”

“Yes; well, he will need some therapies and there will be a few appointments with specialists, but he will be fine.”

“Hard time, right?”

“I hope he will accept our help.”

“He will, and I am willing to help you.”

“Thanks Gaby, you are a great friend.  By the way, how are things back home?”

“They are good. Missing dad, Kelly and Jeremy already; but I know I can handle a whole summer without them.  After all, I spend every summer without them.”

“Gaby!” I heard someone yelled my name and two strong arms grabbing me in the air crushing me in a hug.

“Matthew!” I really love that boy.  He is like a brother to me, and although I used to have a crush with him when I was 12, but he is a player.

“You look amazing!”

“Thanks.  I haven’t seen you in two years.”

“Yes, you are so grown up. Do you have any boyfriends?” There goes the player.

“Yes, and I love him…thank you very much. And how are the girls lately?”

“The same, they are always harassing me.”

“How can you handle a brother like this, Mel?”

“You just get used to it.”

“Honey, it’s time for us to go.” My grandma said. “So you could go there early.”

“Yes, you are right.  Guys, see you later.”

“Where you are going?  I can drive you.” Matthew suggested.

“Thanks, but it’s a thing I am doing by myself. I’ll come tomorrow. Maybe we could go out or something.” I said.

“That’s a great idea.  I hope Sebastian is awake tomorrow when you come, so you can meet him.” Melanie said giving me a hug.

“I hope so.”

We said goodbye to everyone.  Walking to the car, we spotted grandpa talking with Melanie’s dad.  After exchanging a few words with him, we left the hospital.

On our way to the cemetery, Grandma Ann kept asking me if I was sure of being alone.  She was worried, specially, after the way I acted when we got to the hospital. I reassured her I was going to be fine.

They left me in front of the gates.  I told them to go home. I was going to call them if I needed to.  And I sternly said that I wanted to walk home after.

************************************************************************

Sorry for the delay...working on another story that stole most of my time....