Chapter 4- Unwilling

“Get out.”

“Gray, listen to me-”

“I have listened to you, and I want you to get out.”

Colder and colder his eyes seemed to grow. “You want this-”

A fury was soon born in my chest. “You don’t know me, and I don’t want your help- So, for God’s sake, get out!” I cried.

I was expecting him to get mad in return, to yell, to do something, anything, besides what he did.

A mischievous smile played over his face. It was small and quick, but I saw it. “I do love variation in the reactions,” he laughed quietly. “Last but not least you are.”

His hand reached forward, long pale fingers wrapping around my wrist before I could move away. He tried pulling me in, reeling me toward him, but I dug my heels in hard.

“Let go of me!” I cried, my voice shuddering with anger and anxiety. Before I knew what I was doing, I bit him.

For a moment his hand loosened as he cried out, and that was all I really needed to jerk away. I shoved past him to get through the doorway, and he stretched out his other arm, catching me by the hair and knotting his fist into it.

I yelped and instinctively kicked out behind me, my shoe making contact with something. Once again, I wrenched myself from his grasp and took off.

In mere moments, my hands were around the door handle of the dorm, but the damn thing just moved limply in my hands, not connecting at all to the part that actually opened the door. I didn’t dwell there long before I sprinted toward down the hall.

His footsteps were quick behind me, causing my head to whirl. I didn’t know how close he was, fear almost causing the bile inside me to rise up in my throat. I screamed as loud as I could, over and over again, but it barely came out as a cry because of my fearful underfunctioning vocal cords.  

“This can be easy and gentle if you want it to, little human. You are indeed a clever girl, and I don’t want to hurt you, but you have to stop running. I chose to refrain from using my powers in these little situations as I always overestimate the mortality tolerance of humans, but unfortunately that does not mean I cannot hurt you.” He exclaimed it softly from somewhere near, but I didn’t stop running.

I flung myself into Rebecca’s room, locking the door and stumbling into her closet before dragging her bedside table in front of the little doors, trapping myself inside.

I curled up into a ball in the corner, wrapping my hands around my head. I actually, pathetically, wretched onto the floor, emptying a portion of fear out of me. I had never been so scared, so confused in my life. I had never had tears pour out of my eyes without me knowing. How was I so weak? Why couldn’t I be brave? A part of me wished I had accepted willingly, to save myself from this horrible agonizing fear.

But the other part of me knew I couldn’t give in- to Loki’s charm, to my fear of loneliness, to the darkness. This part was somehow dominant, and it shook my body with such intensity I thought I was going to pass out.

Before I knew it, though, a huge noise- an explosion of light and force that broke open the walls of the closet- of the room I was in, a wavering intense heat and brightness immediately blinding me. Something heavy and sharp hit me on the head, rocking my eyes and threatening to send me into black hole. This was it- this was the premonition.

Unable to speak or comprehend, I watched as Loki walked toward me, a gold helmet crowning his dark head and gold armor underneath his flowing green capes, an expression of indifference on his face. He bent over me, slipping an arm under my knees and looping another through my arms, lifting me. I tried to say something but my tongue failed miserably, the only thing escaping to be, “Please,” but even that barely came out as a whimper. I pushed at him, but I was so weak he probably hardly felt it

For a moment his eyes really did meet mine, and a deep, confusing feeling was sent through my body, causing me to shudder. He looked confused with himself, but then shook himself out of it. Looking away, he set me on my feet, and I crumpled forward, falling into him. He made a soft noise- something that sounded like curiosity and maybe endearment, before wrapping his hand around me and gripping my waist, lifting us both into the air; only then did I finally fall into the darkness.