Chapter 5- Waking Up

“Do you think she’s ever going to wake up?”

“Who knows? Her head looks like it’s been hit pretty hard.”

“Well she’d better, or God knows what Loki will do.”

“I heard she fought him hard. Unsuccessfully, as his perfect, gorgeous body and face proves.”

“Shut up, Skyler.”

Voices swam through my head, too fast and too soft that I couldn’t make sense of them. Sounds blurred, connected and swirling into my ears. I tried opening my eyes and moving my body, but I couldn’t seem to connect to anything. Where was I? Who was… Suddenly a searing pain cut through my thoughts, causing me to groan out loud. The voices I had heard fell silent. The pain subsided into a heavy beat that pounded through my head, sending whirling images and memory back in.

My vision… Loki- in my dorm...the explosion...his arms around me...

I forced my eyelids to peel themselves open, momentarily startled by the bright light around me.

I was lying on a bed, under a small quilt, still in my same clothes. Shining bulbs made of something other than glass hung around me, the walls of the room a metallic brown colour. Six beds including mine were dispersed across, different tables and shelves holding books and bottles. I slowly sat up, bringing my hand up to my head. Some sort of bandage was wrapped around like a headband, covered over with dark red crust when I brought my hand back down.

“You’re name’s Gray, isn’t it? You’re the time girl.”

I looked over to see who was talking, finding a girl standing a few feet away with pale blonde hair streaked with blue, bringing out the electric eyes that stared me down. She looked about my age, maybe a bit older.

“Yeah,” I said groggily. “I guess I am.”

There were two other people in the room, both of them boys. One, who was tall and athletic looking, and had blonde hair and dark eyes, looked shockingly similar to this girl. The other, who must’ve been at least five years younger than me, had a shy face and a shock of red hair. I tried to smile at them to be friendly, but it hurt my head.

Despite the fact I was still in my comfortable, dirty pants and coat, the three others all wore clothing of an unfamiliar cloth and pieces of armour. The girl wore a long pretty white gown with string tying the v-neck together, tight in places on her tall willowy body, a bunched up cloak in her arms. They all looked like they were from the middle ages- on an entirely different planet.

Another one spoke. “Hello,” the young boy said nervously. “I- I’m Bert. I can manipulate space, and teleport, and-”

“And I’m Skyler,” the blonde girl interrupted and held out her hand. I reluctantly took it, my muscles groaning as I reached. “In case you were wondering, I’m also one of the people with an infinity stone inside me. The Tesseract, actually, which makes me extra special.” She smiled to herself, as if that made her very happy. “It’s the Mind Stone, if you didn’t know, and I can read thoughts, so if you have any ‘betrayal’ ideas or anything embarrassing, its best you try not to actually think them.” She smiled smugly. “Oh, and I can move things.”

Then, on cue, she raised her hand, the blanket that covered me lifting off my legs. She flicked her wrist, and it went flying, hitting the blonde boy hard and almost knocking him over. He shoved it off of him and glared at her.

“That’s my twin brother,” she carried on. “Spencer. Likely it wasn’t by chance that we both got hit, because he has the Reality Stone. He can alter an image of reality, kind of like what Loki can do, but not as powerful. And he never chooses to use it, because he’s one of those ‘do-gooders’ or whatever, and doesn’t want to mess with people’s heads.”

“I can give my own biography, thanks,” the boy- Spencer- snarled at her. Then, to me, he said, “Welcome to the club.”