1. Reveille

Ceilus was five years old.

"Hey daddy look at what I can do" Ceilus said in excitement. Ceilus was to deeply regret that in the future.

Lonser, Ceilus's father, approached Ceilus with a smile on his face, saying "I'm coming Ceilus", but that smile quickly turned into a sour expression. Where Ceilus's right hand should be was nothing. Could it be? Lonser's suspicions were then confirmed by the toddler's hand floating by aimlessly. Ceilus was a Scythe.

Scythes were a special kind of storer. Ones whose storer ability revolved around the usage of body parts, such as hands, the power that Ceilus apparently held.

Lonser knew his son was a storer. Ceilus had, of course, undergone the storer test just like everyone else. It was customary for kids to take the test when they turned two. It was a simple procedure, consisting of the extraction of some of the kid's blood, putting it in a vial and adding some silver, if it glowed that meant the kid was a storer, and Ceilus's blood had, unfortunately, lit up. So Ceilus was determined a storer, but what kind of storer had been undetermined, until that day that is.

Lonser had been proud of Ceilus for that, storers were rare after all, only 1 every 200 people could call him or herself a storer, but then he discovered Ceilus was, in fact, a scythe, of all kinds of storers why did he have to be a scythe?

Scythes were despised by society for how gruesome their powers could lead them to be. An example, which was often thrown around, was that of the 8th of September of 1672, the day it was discovered by the storer police, the police force that controlled storers, stopping them from becoming troublesome, that Sanle Rivers, a skin scythe, had been harvesting skin from two women tied in his basement. Sanle then used his powers to flee, using the women's skin as a shield.

"Ceilus!" Lonser yelled, "put your hand back into its place and don't you dare!" Lonser emphasized, "Don't you ever dare do that again!"

Twelve years later.

"Wake up Ceilus!" Roven exclaimed" the reveille was half an hour ago, if you don't wake up now we'll be late for the inspection, and I really don't feel like getting into trouble today"

Ceilus remained in bed, awake but with his eyes closed, unresponsive.

"If you don't get up in the next 20 seconds I swear I'll dump a bucket of water on you" Roven threatened.

Ceilus remained unresponsive.

"20," Roven said as he made his way to the bathroom, counting down along the way.

Ceilus remained unresponsive.

"15," Roven kept counting down, now with the noise of pouring water in the background.

Ceilus remained unresponsive.

"10," Roven shouted with a full bucket of water on his hands.

Ceilus remained unresponsive.

"5," Roven was now right next to Ceilus "You know I'll do it, this wouldn't be the first time".

Ceilus remained unresponsive.

"4, 3, 2..."

"Ok, ok I'm up!" Ceilus yelled now fully awake.

"Too late," Roven said as he poured the bucket of cold water on top of Ceilus.

"W...why?!" Ceilus asked in shivers.

"Well it's already a quarter past seven, this way you don't have to waste precious time taking a shower," Roven said with a grin on his face.

After letting out an "Argh" Ceilus made his way to the bathroom where he reluctantly prepared himself for the day.

It was now 7:24 and Ceilus was ready; Roven and Ceilus would, for once, not be late for the inspection. The two teenagers made their way through the dorm to the outside, where they found most of the school's boys, all of them waiting in the cold for the inspectors to arrive and check if their uniforms were correctly buttoned up, if their shoes were well polished and other things of the sort, "one of the many pleasures of frequenting a military academy instead of a regular high school" Ceilus thought in annoyance.