Chapter 7

"Why do we have to go eat burgers? Sandwiches sound better." Johnson complains in the passenger seat of Jacks Jeep. Jack groans and hits him in the arm. Personally I didn't think sandwiches sounded bad, Jack wanted burgers though. I guess either way I was fine because I wasn't very hungry anyways.
"You always choose. It's my turn." Jack tells Johnson, rolling his eyes. I of course was watching them from the back, and I could only see Jacks eyes in the review mirror.
"We have a guest this time though. She should get to weigh in, right?" Johnson reasons with Jack. Jack just shakes his head.
"I could care less what she wants." Jack coldly said. He was kidding, he had to be joking. Jack didn't laugh though, Johnson didn't laugh. I sat in the back of the Jeep and felt alone, I no longer wanted to be with them. I was sensitive, and I didn't care if Jack was mad that I didn't want to be with him. It's not that I didn't, and I knew it was complicated and he probably didn't get it. For a couple years now Jack had been able to get whatever he wanted, no problem. Choices for him were easy. My choices weren't like that. This was one of them that I couldn't figure an easy way out of. I couldn't just let my heart tell me what to do when I knew that it wasn't smart. He wasn't a smart choice for me. He was so sweet, so thoughtful, and too irresistible. He'd pull me in and then I'd never swim out. I needed to leave it as it was.
"I think her opinion matters a lot." Johnson pipes, nodding his head ecstatically. Jack and I's eyes meet in the mirror and I look away quick. I couldn't understand what my problem was. One minute I was telling myself it didn't even matter because I needed to steer clear of a relationship with him and now I'm feeling too hurt to even look him in the eyes. Why did I feel hurt when I was the one who basically just turned him down? I needed to talk to Eve about it and instead I was hanging out with the one boy I was most confused with.
"Okay. Fine then, Alexis what do you want?" Jack says to me. He still had a harsh sounding voice. Johnson looks back at me and I shake my head. I must've looked sad, he had to of known.
"I'm not too hungry, leave me out of it." I say weakly. Usually I tried to be lively and I wanted everyone else in the room to feel happy too. Right now I really wanted them to bring me home, I'd had my share of them today. Johnson was fine honestly, but he wanted to be with Jack and I couldn't hang out with him.
"Shouldn't have even asked her Jack." Jack says annoyed to Johnson. Johnson shakes his head and looks out the window. The ride had officially become awkward now. The moods kept shifting around and I was so angry.
"Hey actually you guys I don't feel too good and we are close to my house anyways. Drop me off at home." I say sharply, trying to sound normal.
"Lexi, come on let's not ruin our hangout Jacks just on his period." Johnson tells me, trying to get me to stay with them.
"No, I want to go home Jack." I shake my head. I wasn't giving in.
"Lexi." Johnson pleads again.
"I think it's an excellent idea!" Jack yells. It was startling and I jump in the back seat.
"What is going on?" Johnson asks. I was as stupefied as him.
"We are bringing Alexis home and then going out to pick up Madison." Jack says in a monotone voice. Was he serious? Why was he being so horrible? I couldn't stop him from hanging out with other girls. Especially if they were his friends. That's all I was too. That didn't mean I wasn't bugged by it though.
"I don't want to hang out with Madison. We aren't picking her up." Johnson tells Jack.
"I was kidding take a joke." Jack answered back. His eyes meet mine in the mirror again, and he was first too look away this time. I counted the seconds it took for them to get me to my apartment. I prayed to God Nate wasn't there with Eve still. I jumped out of the car as soon as we parked and made sure to slam the door extra hard on my way out. Johnson followed me up and into the elevator.
"What?" I ask frustrated. I was tapping my hand on my leg, I felt like I couldn't stop moving.
"What the hell is going on right now?" Johnson wondered aloud. I shake my head and laughed. Out of all my mixed emotions a laugh managed to escape.
"Jack is being a douche to me. You tell me why." I say. My throat began to feel tight. Breathe, don't cry. This was too little of a reason to cry.
"Jack is sensitive. I heard you talking about not wanting to be with him, which I'm not commenting on but he's probably just hurt." Johnson tries to reason with me. The elevator doors open and we walk out.
"That makes two of us. I'm so fucking confused Johnson. I don't know what I want right now. I want him. I want nothing do do with him. I can't decide and why can't I just be left alone in my thoughts right now?" I say, heated.
"Calm down. No one is asking you to make decisions you don't want to make." Johnson pulled me into his arms. I melted on his chest and really began to cry. I felt so weak, so immature.
"Jack is." I cry into his chest.
"Let him do his thing. He will still be here when you have everything figured out." Johnson assures, smoothing my hair with his hand.
"I don't want to ruin our friendship." I say, sniffling. Johnson rests his head on mine.
"You don't have to. He won't risk losing you over you not wanting to be with him in that way. He just needs time to think, just like you." Johnson tells me. I knew he was right. I fumble out of his grasp and wipe my tears from my eyes.
"Thank you J. I really appreciate you." I tell him. He smiles and gives me a thumbs up.
"You got this." he replies, and waves me a goodbye. I did have this and I knew it. I was so much stronger then I credited myself for.