Part 5

Leo's POV

Camp is in a state of disarray, and I can't help but feel like its my fault. If I had just kept my stupid mouth shut, then Percy would still be here. I can't even look at Annabeth without my guilt coming to the surface. Even though Jason and Piper tell me it wasn't me, I can still feel the hateful glares at my back when I walk through camp. I'm going to the campfire now, the campfire where we're burning Percy's shroud. The fire itself is little more than a flicker of flame, black as obsidian with flecks of red, representing the depression and anger the camp is feeling. I sit up the back, not being able to face what I have brought this camp. I've always been the seventh wheel, so know one will care that I'm gone.

I know what I have to do.

*****************************

Next Day

Jason's POV

I crumple to the ground, sobs wracking my body. I try to force myself to look up, but I can't. Why would he do this? 'You know why' a small voice in the back of my mind says 'shut up'. I pick the letter up off the table and pry open the wax seal. What I read breaks my heart.

Dear Jason, Piper, Frank, Hazel, Annabeth and the camp,

I'm sorry. I can't express how sorry I am, and no matter how many times you say it wasn't, I know it's my fault that Percy died. Jason, even though I only knew you for a little while, you were one of my best friends, and I will never forget you. Piper, I've known you the longest out of the seven, and I hope you can forgive me. Hazel, i'm sorry if I ever made you uncomfortable, but you were one of my greatest friends and I hope you live a long, happy life with Frank. Frank, hold onto Hazel, never let her go, because she is an amazing girl and she deserves to be treated right. And Annabeth, I'm so sorry, I hope you can forgive me, but I understand if you hate my guts. I know I have no right to ask you anything, but, you know when I was gone for a few days? I was on Calypso's island. Please, Jason, get her off that island and tell her I'm sorry, that I wanted to come back for her, but the pain was all to much.

I love you guys.

Forgive me.

Yours demigodishness and all that,

Leo Valdez (Repair Boy)

My anguished cries echoed around Bunker 9. I finally looked up, and another round of sobs came from my lungs. There was Leo, hanging from one of the many beams running from one side of the room to the other, his neck bent at an odd angle. He was swinging slightly in the breeze coming from the open door. "How could you do this!?" I yelled, and it echoed throughout the cavern. I heard a strangled notice from behind me, and turned to find Piper staring at Leo, a look of horror on her face. I stood and wrapped her in a hug, crying softly as she sobbed into my chest.

I hope you make Elysium, Leo.