Chapter 7: No Detention. New Friend.

A sudden slamming and loud footsteps made the four of us look at the door. We didn't realise what a racket we had been making, but of course, someone downstairs must have heard the crashes and the troll's roars. A moment later, Professor McGonagall had come bursting into the room, closely followed by Professor Snape, and Professor Quirrell, the defence against the dark arts teacher, bringing up the rear. Quirrell took one look at the troll, let out a faint whimper, and sat quickly down on a toilet, clutching his heart. Professor Snape bent over the troll to look at it before turning his attention to me. Professor McGonagall was looking at Ron and Harry. I have never seen her look so angry. Her lips were white.

"What on earth were you thinking of?" said Professor McGonagall, with cold fury in her voice. Harry looked at Ron, who is still staring at the unconscious troll. "You're lucky you weren't killed. Why aren't you in you dormitories all four of you!"

Stepping up toward, Professor McGonagall, I say meekly," Professor, I was out looking for the troll, having read about them in a book I thought it would be cool to catch one by myself. They were just looking for me."

"Well -- in that case..." said Professor McGonagall, staring at the the others, "Miss Hope, you foolish girl, how could you think of tackling a mountain troll on your own?" I hang my head, not in shame but to avoid her eyes. Harry is speechless and looked as if Professor Snape had started handing out sweets.

"Miss Granger, five points will be taken from Slytherin for this," said Professor McGonagall. "I'm very disappointed in you. Professor Snape will take over from here. As for the three of you, if you're not hurt at all, you'd better get off to Gryffindor tower. Students are finishing the feast in their houses."The three of them left.

Professor McGonagall turns to Professor Snape and mutters, "Well, I would say Miss Hope was lucky, but not many first years could have taken on a full-grown mountain troll. Professor Dumbledore will be informed of this. "

Professor Snape hurries me out of the bathroom and didn't speak at all until we had entered hs classroom, four floors below. It was a relief to be away from the smell of the troll, quite apart from anything else. Professor Snape goes to his usual teaching stand in the classroom as I sit at my desk waiting for him to scold me.

"What really happened in there, Miss Hope. Tell the truth,"Professor Snape snarls in his droning voice.

I immediately launch into what really happened, skipping that fact that I used a 'stupefy' on the troll like the voice in my head that resembled his told me to.

"So, you skipped lessons to clam a Gryffindor, nearly get yourself killed by a mountain troll, took the blame for the whole incident and you still have the nerve to tell me the truth?"

"Excuse me, sir?" I ask befuddled. Didn't he ask for the truth?

"As a Slytherin, we only favour ourselves and tell the truth when it benefits us. What kind of Slytherin tells the truth with no benefits for themselves?"

"I do,"I say, my face red at the insult. That letter is definitely a prank there is no way I am married to that git. With that, I turn on my heel and leave Professor Snape there.

The only good outcome of the night was that Hermione became friends with Harry and Ron.