Organize the books in the library

You decide to go organize the books in the library. It seemed like a simple enough job and you had roughly a good idea of where the books were supposed to be on the shelves. You had been into the library to find a reference book once or twice already.

You walk into the room littered with bookshelves and start to look around to see just how much damage had been done. It was much worse than you thought it would be. There were almost no books that were in order at all anymore. It seemed like all of the once carefully organized books no longer had any rhyme or reason to where they were.

You sigh and start trying to find a place where you can even try to start. You pluck one of the books that had been shoved onto the shelf in the wrong direction off of the shelf and look around for where you think it might belong. You could tell that it had originally been all the way on the other end of the room.

As you walked across the room, for a second you could have sworn that you saw someone or something dart behind a shelf. You raised an eyebrow and wandered over to where the thing was moving. There was nothing there. You shrugged and went back to walking across the room to put the book away.

After you had put it away, you turned around just in time to see something else dash out in front of you and vanish. It was something that had a sort of shadowy looking body. Was this library haunted?

You sighed again and went to go find more books to put away. If this place was haunted, you could only hope that the ghosts wouldn't want anything to do with someone who was just trying to put books back where they belonged.

You grabbed another book. It was one that was supposed to go right next to the book that you had just put away. You walked back over to the bookshelf you had put the other book away on, but to your surprise, the book you had out away before was suddenly gone.

You quickly turned again to see the same thing from before trying to dart away and hide again. You glared at the empty space where the thing had been. Now you knew why the books were so disorganized. That thing had been putting them out of order on purpose!

"I know what you're doing!" You called out to the thing. "Im not going to turn my back again, so you might as well show yourself!"

To your surprise, the thing that had been putting the books out of order slowly floated out from behind a book shelf, but another figure stepped out from the one opposite to it. You now recognized the shadowy creature you had seen darting around. It was a shade. You had heard of them before but this was the first time that you had actually seen one in person.

The other figure was a woman with black hair who was wearing a slightly revealing purple dress. Her figure was absolutely perfect and you found yourself staring at her for a bit longer than you probably should have been. You could feel your cheeks heating up a little bit from something other than anger.

She had a knowing smirk on her face as she stepped over to you slowly, shade floating behind her as she went.

"I thought it would take them longer to realize it. It's a shame they did." She shrugged a little bit.

You tried your best to glare at her and hide your surprise at even finding her there. "Well some people have organizing this place as a job and some people would like to keep said jobs. Why are you even doing this?"

Her smirk grew just a bit wider. "I have a very...special relationship with the guildpact. I honestly just wanted to see the look on his face. I've seen how he get's when even one of these books is out of place. If only he could worry that much about the rest of his house."

You tried to hold your angry expression, but you felt it fade very quickly. You could feel it melting off of you and being replaced with the urge not to laugh.

You actually HAD seen the way that the guildpact got when he couldn't find the book that he wanted. He would run up and down the whole library with a panicked look on his face, gulping down as much of his coffee as he could in some weird attempt to hide his distress. He would always do this when he couldn't find the exact book that he wanted even if another book with the same information was easy to find.

You had to admit, whoever this woman was, she had a good sense of humor.

You failed to fight back the urge to laugh and ended up snickering a little bit.

She seemed to take note of your snickering and she stepped closer.

"But you do have a point. I'll wait until tomorrow to do it again in exchange for a small favor."

You shrugged. "Whatever it is I'll be happy to do it if I can watch the chaos tomorrow and keep my job."

She put a hand on your upper back. Her hand was cold in a way that somehow didn't feel alive in any way. You jumped a little bit at her touch.

"Buy me dinner?"

You found yourself smiling at her. "Consider it done."