Chapter 28

Since Camila wasn't there for the first few weeks of school, Lauren was able to get the female lead for the fall semester play, Inherit The Wind. She was to play the role of Sarah Brady, the wife of the Matthew Harrison Brady. Zayn was cast as Brady, the evangelical prosecuting attorney. Dinah got the role of defense attorney Henry Drummond and Ally got the role of Rachel Brown, the local minister's daughter and the fiancé of the defendant, Bertram Cates. Cates and the other major roles were filled with shruggers.

The award-winning play, based on the historic Scopes Monkey Trial, was one of two major senior plays put on during the course of the year. In the fall, the school traditionally did a drama and a musical comedy in the spring. The spring play hadn't been chosen yet.

In addition, Lauren got the pick of two of Sikowitz' own plays. Several of these were put on every semester and, in past school terms, she and Camila often vied for the lead.

When Lauren came home and told Camila, each time, Camila sighed and rolled her eyes.

In addition, Camila started to sing to Lizzie. Lullabies and some of the softer pop songs she knew. Without her being aware, Lauren started to record them. Before long, she had decent copies of six songs.

When she told Camila about them, Camila asked, "Why?"

"So, when someone else babysits, they can play these back if Liz doesn't want to fall asleep."

"'Kay, I guess so. But isn't recording someone without their permission a crime?"

"So sue me," Lauren sneered.

"Nah. Had enough of courtrooms for the time being," Camila said in a light-hearted tone. The haunted look in her eyes betrayed her though.

Lauren pulled the girl into her arms, she said, "I think we can settle out of court."

~~~

Finally the day came. Camila returned to school, albeit reluctantly. Her mother and Lauren practically had to pry little Lizzie out of the new mother's arms. Camila sobbed once, "I don't think I can do this."

"Honey, it's okay. Lizzie will be fine. I've done a pretty good job raising you."

"Mom? You'll call me the minute...the second..."

"Sweetie, she'll be fine. Go get your education. That's the best thing you can do for this little darling."

Without another word, Lauren led Camila to her car and they headed to school.

Walking into school, Ally saw the couple and ran up, "Lauren! Camila! I'm soooo happy you're back!"

As Ally tried to squeeze both of them into mush at the same time, Lauren said, "Ally, I've been here..."

"Yeah, but not together!"

Camila smiled and Lauren just shook her head.

Zayn came to the rescue, "Ally, let them go before they suffocate."

"Okay."

"What our favorite little sunshine wanted to say is that you two are the couple at school. Everyone has been talking about the two of you and..."

Dinah strolled up at that moment to join the group, "Y'know it's kinda funny. About half the school is sure you'll end up killing each other before the end of the semester. Most of the rest think you're going to be together forever. And the others are undecided."

Camila wrapped an arm around Lauren, hugging her, "Well, I think we'll just have to disappoint about half the school."

"You know that's right," Lauren agreed, returning the hug.