District 2 Reaping: Truth and Wolf

I wait, and I want to get reaped so bad. I know that even if I don't, I'm going to volunteer. I really want to be in The Hunger Games, because I hate leaving the pride of District 2 in other people's hands. Incompetent ones. I can win it, because I'm good enough. I'm fast, strong, small and nimble. I doubt even the other careers have the whole package.

I'm volunteering for whoever gets picked this year. I'm 18, and it's finally my time to take a place among the other Hunger Games victors like Lyme and Brutus.

I'm waiting impatiently for the girl's name to be drawn, dancing on tiptoe in the 18's section of the square.

Beryl dips into the glass bowl and pulls out a name. 

"Jay Cinders!" she coos. 

I push my way to the front, "I volunteer!" I beam. 

Beryl's smile grows wider, "Ah, a pretty one aren't we? Come on, come on!"

I proudly and excitedly dash over to the stage and grin at my District. Time to make District 2 proud of another victor.

"What's your name, sweetie?" Beryl asks, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Truth Fireheart." I reply.

"Splendid," she gives a small excited clap. "Now let's see who's going in for the boys!"

She digs around a little, her curved nails burying themselves in the slips of paper.

She unfolds one. "Forest Harrison?" 

I look out to the crowd, and with a sense of dread, I realise that's my brother's best friend. And he's 13.  Someone's bound to volunteer for him, surely?

I see a burly 18 year old about to open his mouth.

"I volunteer!" my stomach flips with dread.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I can't see my best friend and my sister torn apart in there. Well, my sister's 18, so she has a good chance...but Forest? He's my age. 13. And I'd rather it be my life on the line than his. I suppose another boy might volunteer, but I'm not thinking straight. 

I take a deep breath and call out, "I volunteer!"

Truth snaps her gaze from where she was watching the 18 year olds and her eyes fly open when she sees me. 

"You volunteer? You're a brave one, I see." Beryl says with shock. "Come on up, dear."

Truth is shaking her head and mouthing 'no', but I look away from her and let my feet lead me to her side. 

My sister leans down to me and hisses, "Are you crazy? You'll never make it in that arena!

"Maybe." I whisper back simply, "But I'm not letting Forest risk his life in there."

"I wish I could say the same for you," she huffs and falls silent, crossing her arms. 

Beryl clears her throat, "Quite done, are we? Good." she brushes down her dress with a tinted pink hand, "What's your name?"

"Wolf." I tell her as confidently as my voice allows, "Wolf Fireheart."

Beryl gasps. "It's going to be a good Games this year! We have siblings in the very same Game!" she raises a hand to her mouth, giggles and then claps, bringing on reluctant applause from the rest of the District. I follow my sister's gaze to where it drifted back to the 18's section and notice that most of the boys there look angry, as if they had wanted to volunteer. They probably did. 

I continue, not caring whether I'm supposed to or not, "Yeah, I volunteered for my best friend. He's not gonna go and get torn up in that arena."

Beryl taps my shoulder gently. "May the odds be ever in your favour."

"I'm sure they won't be, Beryl." I reply grimly.