2 : Sensing Odds

My gaze travelled from the glass clock in my cabin to the file that lay open before me with a hard look. The time says 7:00 clock while the file is screamed only 7 more pages. I sighed. I've to complete this today. Akash is already gone and now the only person left here is myself.

As soon as this file is attended thoroughly by me, I'm going to fly home to my place, peace and wife. What if she declined going on a dinner date with me? She's still my wife right? And it isn't a crime wanting to spend time with my wife now, is it?

Completing the work in almost a record time of twenty minutes, I started picking up my files and dumped them into my bag. Cleanliness has become my first enemy after marriage. Now no more I fuss about how clean my bag is packed or how well ordered the files are kept. They're all seen after by Khushi. Whoosh, that got one work off my shoulders.

As I was about to make a move for the door, having checked the cabin once, my door was pushed open without a knock and I had to let out a 'what the!' with the sudden entry into my... ASR's... cabin without any preemption. People's indiscipline has reached peaks. They're not even caring their boss's orders anymore. Maybe I should up my strict rules to another extent.

"I'm sorry, sir," the accountant, I've already forgot to wait for, stood before me sweating. He was breathing in short spurts his hand forwarded. I really didn't notice his hand except his dishevelled state. Well, not that I'm any okay. I forgot that he's due to come and give me the accounts.

"Don't repeat this again Mr. Kumar. I've high expectations on you. Delay of work is the first step of failure in your job." I lectured him with a serious face. No one except Khushi would have understood the embarrassment I'm hiding behind the façade. That's a given right? Like really? How can I just forget something I ordered the happening of?

"I'm sorry, sir. Here they are sir," he placed the accounts before me and my eyes almost bulged out. I discreetly counted the number of books and gulped. It took all my willpower to not groan in frustration. I really want to go to a corner, sit there and whine like a child for not having me do what I want.

"Ermm...sir?" I looked up enquiringly, my mind accusing him for delaying the completion in accounts. If he had done this work on time, my going home today wouldn't have been delayed. "Can I go home now? Wo...my wife must be waiting for me,"

His almost pleading and nervous look made me stop from keeping him in the office. Or else he would have been in here with me, till I completed checking these books. Nodding an approval to him, I buried myself in the work before me. My loss, I can't even delay this work.

~

It was already 8:30 by the time I stepped into my home, totally worn out. And that too after I left half of those accounts unattended. Sure my auditor is going to flip out knowing that he didn't get the accounts on time. Not that every year the accounts from ARD are delayed.

"Arnav-Ji, aap aagaye?" (Arnav-ji, you came?) Khushi called coming towards me with a broad smile on her face. There flies away my tiredness. It is from a month I have been experiencing this. Heaven on earth, my wife in my arms. With Khushi greeting me at the door, I'll be hugging her to my hearts' content filling my arms with her and my nostrils with her flowery scent. Ah! The bliss. Having supper with my family and then after a short hearty talk with them post dinner, I give away my time to my wife - to love her, cuddle her and sleep in her arms with her in mine. Life has totally become a heaven for me, if not more.

As I was about to take her into my arms eager to fill my lungs with her jasmine scent and feel her petite soft body against my hard one, she resisted with a hand held to my chest. I frowned and looked down at her in question. Why doesn't she let me? She always does then why not today?