Chapter 3/4: Doubts/Weakness

Author's Note

If this story magically changes to private then I really will submit this story on another site instead. I spent a whole hour yesterday trying to make chapter 3 visible to everyone. I failed four times. Here goes nothing.

Chapter 3: Doubts

"You don't have an elevator in here?" Sonic asked limply as he relied on Shadow to continue leading him up the stairs.

"I'm not really-" Shadow paused for a moment, "No."

Shadow had hesitated long enough that Sonic could tell that it was a lie.

"If there's no elevator, why would you agree to live up so high?" Sonic questioned, as he tried to get the truth from the black hedgehog.

"There's a slimmer chance of you getting robbed the higher up you live."

"Really?" Sonic hadn't been expecting such a factual answer.

"Yes."

Silence.

"Hey Shads?"

Shadow groaned, "What now, Blue?"

"Is there any special reason why you don't want me in your apartment?" He asked, as he tried to figure out why Shadow didn't want him there.

"Are you sure you don't know where you live?" Shadow evaded, as he began glaring at Sonic.

"No clue." Sonic admitted.

Sonic didn't leave his apartment enough to know for sure. He had picked the most well lit neighborhood that he could find. He hardly knew what the outside of his apartment looked like.

Shadow sighed and once they made it to the top of this flight of stairs he hesitated and then walked towards the furthest end of the floor that they had stopped on.

Shadow waited in front of it and as he pulled out his key Sonic could hear him mumble, "It feels like my privacy is being violated." as he opened the door.

As soon as it opened Sonic gulped as he watched him open the door to the void. He felt Shadow trying to take him inside the abyss against his will.

"N-no, no, no, no, no!" Sonic screamed as he somehow managed to lift his feet against the frame of Shadow's door.

"Wh-what the hell?!"

Shadow tried shoving Sonic inside which only caused him to panic more.

"No! No! Please, no!" Sonic begged as he began squirming, trying desperately to get the ultimate life form to stop.

He was desperate not to enter there. Had he been in the dream this whole time? Was this a trap so that he would let his guard down? Was any of this real?

Paranoia was taking over the blue hedgehog's mind as he kept frantically fighting against Shadow.

"I know I said I didn't want you in my apartment but this is ridiculous!" Shadow growled as he suddenly pulled Sonic back and swung him behind him as he charged into his apartment.

"Please! Please, please, please! No!" Sonic yelled as he started gripping at the doorframe with his fingers and dragging his feet against the floor, "Don't do this please!"

Then Shadow turned on the light and Sonic slowly began to relax. He was panting as he tried to calm himself down. He slowly turned himself around to see the brightness in his room.

The void was gone.

He let go of the door frame and let himself fall limply against Shadow, "She's not here." he whispered to himself.