Chapter 10: Gloating

"Sonic?" The black hedgehog held out the dark grey phone away from him and tried again.

Nothing but the sound of a dial tone followed.

"Shit, he hung up."

Shadow had understood that he had gone too far. He had let his anger take over him at the worst possible moment. He was trying to get Sonic to trust him, not hate him more than he probably already did.

He looked up and saw that he had made it to Rouge's home just after Sonic had hung up on him. He sighed. If he had just been able to suppress his anger for just a few moments longer he might still be on the phone with him now.

But as Shadow came closer to Rouge's condo, he figured that he could probably still find Sonic. He had made it to Rouge after all, and once she told him where she had met Sonic at, he was sure that he could find the blue hedgehog on his own.

The only problem he could see was convincing the paranoid creature to open the door for him when he did find him. He was fully aware that he could force the door open if he needed to, but also understood that doing so would only cause Sonic to trust him even less than he already did now. If he was going to help him, Sonic needed to trust him.

Shadow waved away these thoughts away as he made it to Rouge's front door and knocked quickly, hoping to get the information from the white bat and get to Sonic as soon as possible.

The ultimate life form could hear her shuffling raggedly to the door as he waited.

"Too early." She whined from the other side of the door, "Who is it?"

"Rouge, it's me!"

"Just open the door!" Rouge shouted.

The black hedgehog did as he was told and unlocked her front door.

He opened it to see the sleepy treasure hunter lying sprawled out over her dark purple couch wearing a surprisingly long black dress that's length covered everything but her feet. The upper portion of the dress was a different story however. The top of the dress was almost as revealing as her standard outfit. If anything it was slightly less revealing as it was held up by two thin straps.

Although Shadow wasn't focusing on her outfit, but was actually slightly touched by the fact that despite complaining about being tired that she had taken the time to attempt walking to the door. He realized that she had stopped once she found out that it was him, but that was because he had the key to her home.

She lifted her head up to look at him, as she was lying with her head pointed towards her front door. "Couldn't get enough of me, huh?" Rouge smirked while Shadow entered her apartment.

He locked the door behind him without looking at it as he focused on her, "Are you drunk?"

Somewhat slurred, "Why do you say that?"

He shot her a look.

"Well, me and Sonic were drinking all night, so you tell me."

"I didn't realize that the effects of alcohol lasted for so long." He scoffed and sat down next to her in the small amount of space that she had left for him.

"I get it." She responded dryly and began mimicking him lazily, "Ultimate life form, can't get drunk, yada yada whatever."

He ignored her, "Hey Rouge."

"What is it?"

"How long did you talk to Sonic?"

"For a while."