Good Soul

Justin’s POV

*ring, ring*

I scrambled to get to my phone in my jeans pocket in the back of the SUV.

“Hello?”

“Justin?” a girl’s voice came from the phone.

I swallowed hard as I recognized the voice.

“Abbie?”

“Can we talk?” she asked sounding worried.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea…”

“Please… I-I I just need someone to talk to.” She stammered.

I sighed and pinched my nose with my free hand.

“Ok, I see you in 10.” I said and hung up and phone.

“Son of a bitch.” I mumbled before telling my drive where to go. I leaned back in the seat watching the trees go by.

*10 minutes later.*

I slowly walked up to the door of the house. The only thing going through my mind right now is guilt and that I will regret this. But she’s a friend now and she sounded like she really needs me…

I was about to knock on the door but the door opened before I could.

“Hi.” Abbie said standing in the door way. She had tears streaming down her face.

I looked at her with worry.

“I didn’t know who else so call.” She said sniffling. I furrowed my eyebrows.

“Come on.” I told her guiding her back into the house.

We walked to the couch and sat down. I handed her a box of tissues next to me on the end table. She took them with gratitude. I looked around the house, it felt empty.

“Where’s your mom?”

She sniffled before answering. “Uh that’s what I wanted to talk to you about.” She said before she started sobbing again. I couldn’t help but feel bad for her.

“What happened?”  I asked as I put a hand on her shoulder. She sniffled a little bit before looking up at me with sorrow.

“The cancer.” She said before sobbing again. She blew her nose into a tissue before continuing. “The cancer spread to her brain.” She said sniffling and looking down.

My mouth dropped into a little “o”. I shook my head and closed my eyes. This is not what I wanted to hear tonight. I can’t imagine how that would feel.

“They don’t know if she’ll make it.” She said shaking her head while whipping a few tears off her cheeks. “I just found out tonight.”

The room got quiet except for a few sobs from Abbie. I didn’t know what to say at this point, I’ve been lucky enough to have a healthy family, where I have never dealt with cancer before.

All I could do at this point is comfort her. So I put my arms around her and pulled her into a warm hug.

Soon enough my shoulder on my t-shirt was soaking wet from her tears.

“I’m sorry” and “it’s going to be ok” was the only thing I could say, I didn’t know what else to say.

After about a half an hour of sobbing she looked exhausted.

“I think the best thing you need right now is rest.” I told her getting up and grabbing a blanket from the recliner chair next to me.

She slowly laid down on the couch. I gently covered her with the wool blanket. She looked up at me with a small smile.