Chapter 9: Memories and Reasons

When I stepped through the portal it was beautiful. There was beautiful flowers everywhere. It was like out of a movie. Actually it could've been. I mean this place is real right?

"What is this place?" asked Shane.

"This is the Defender's Dimension," replied Peyton.

Just then a figure that looked like a bomb started coming towards a town. I panicked and apparently so did everyone else. Well accept for Peyton. He just stood there.

"PEYTON!!! What do we do?!" I asked.

He just stood there.

"Is this some sort of sick joke?! It's not funny!" exclaimed Gracie.

The bomb then hit the ground. It was terrible. To see people fleeing, crying, screaming, and more. I started to walk off the platform or try at least. There was some sort of protection that prevented me from walking off.

"Why can't we leave?" I asked.

He didn't respond.

"Aren't we supposed to be helping them?" asked Skyler.

Just then a bunch of bombs hit the ground. The place was practically destroyed. Except we were standing here fine, clean, and not dead.  It didn't make any sense unless...

"This is a memory isn't it?" I asked.

Peyton smiled,"I knew you'd figure it out."

Peyton then opened up another portal to a land that had rubble all over the place.

"This is the real Defenders Dimension. After those bombs hit the ground we tried to build our society back up for years. We loved this land and we still do. Except those people kept sending the bombs. So we eventually went to live in the mountains. There we lived in caves. I know it sounds ridiculous, but we've become quite a society," he said.

None of us said anything. I don't think any of us knew how to respond.

"Come, we have to get to our base," he said.

We all looked at each other. Probably trying to silently debate if we should trust this guy. Bridgette just shrugged. So we followed him.

"So where exactly is this base?" questioned Shane.

"Were you even listening? It's probably at the mountain top," answered Gracie as she rolled her eyes.

"Ahh, smart and correct you are," replied Peyton as we started to walk up the mountain.

As we walked up I started to get scared. I'm not scared of the dragons or the people. Heights. That's what I'm scared of.  We kept walking up the mountain and my face grew paler with each step. 

Bridgette noticed that my face had turned pale and asked, "Winter are you okay?" 

"Y..yeah... I'm fine. I just don't do well with heights," I replied with a shaky tone. 

Peyton had apparently heard us and added, "Don't worry Winter we'll be there in a few minutes!"

I nodded and continued to walk up the path. We all walked in silence, but I was thinking of all the reasons why were weren't talking. Usually someone would be making a joke of some sort. I knew that Gracie would be thinking about how this was all possible. Shane would just be confused. Bridgette and Skyler would just be happy that they have an adorable little dragon. Then again I guess I'm distracted too. With the heights, dragons, and the base inside a cave were all too much. While I was thinking I accidentally walking into someone, "Hey, why'd we st-". Then I looked up and all around me was the base.