Chapter 5:

The girls headed into the woods once more. The morning was crisp and clear, with a slight breeze ruffling the grass and trees. The stream where they went to get water was about a two minute walk into the woods.
     On the way there, each girl carried a wooden bucket in which they would collect water. Once they filled their buckets, they would lug them back to the house, pour them into the water barrel, and repeat the process.
     Fetching water was a despised task for both of them, since the stream was almost five minutes away, and by the time they were finished it would be midday and they would both be hot and sticky.
     Also, the water barrel on their front porch held the entire week's worth of water for cooking and cleaning, and was a formidable structure. It required about thirty trips back and forth between it and the stream to be filled.
C

atia groaned. "My back is killing me."
     Caspianta looked at her with a disgusted face. "We've only been working for like ten minutes."
     "You know how those people who are always so annoyingly optimistic all the time say time flies when you're having fun? I'm not having fun, and time's not flying."
     Caspianta groaned this time. "Stop whining. The less you think about it, the sooner we'll be done."
     "Now you're starting to sound annoyingly optimistic."
     This argument persisted as the girls trudged through their task.
     The morning was a blur of aching backs, heavy feet, and humidity. Both Caspianta and Catia, despite her complaining, worked hard and were finished with their task by noon.
     Because of the heat, and the sweat it caused, the twins decided to head back to the stream once more to wash off and relax.
     "I'm soooo glad we're finally finished!" Caspianta exclaimed.
     "Oh my goodness. I know." Catia replied. "I can't believe we had to spend the morning doing that while Mom got to go to..." She froze, her mouth half-way through forming her last word. 
     Caspianta jogged to come up next to her sister. "What is it?" she asked. Then she saw. And screamed.