Chapter 6

"Jamie.. I'm so so sorry" he rushed to me and gave me a long hug. I felt comfortable in his arms. I felt safe. I remembered our small hugs from when we were little. Whenever we played together, as soon as one of us had to go home, we would end with a hug. Of course these hugs were different from the one that Luke had just given me. Those hugs were of happiness and parting. This was all because of pity.

"Is this why you brought her here?" Luke stepped to the side to talk to James.

"Well, yes. But we really need to tell you why and how this happened. It's extremely important."

"Oh, ok." He said quietly. James ushered me and Luke into the corner to sit down. We sat like this for over an hour while James and I took turns telling the story. There were a lot of tears involved. I ended up using an entire tissue box and was violently sobbing for most of the tale. We told Luke all about how my father had murdered my mother and how James saved me from the same fate. He listened intently and winced at appropriate times. We finished the story and sat in silence for a bit.

"Neither of you can go back to school." Luke stated.

"What??" I asked, surprised.

"I'm fine with that." James said with a yawn. He layed back against the pillow. I punched him in he stomach and he instantly doubled over.

"Owwwww" he said rubbing his stomach,"What was that for?"

"THIS IS SERIOUS!" I yelled into his ear. "Now that I have your attention, why can't we go back to school?"

"You two are fugitives. You've committed a crime." He stated matter of factly.

"Wait but I haven't done anything!" I whined.

"You ran from a crime scene, that makes you as much of a criminal as James here."

"Oh." I pouted. Why did this have to happen?

I sighed as I stood up and walked towards the attic door.

"Jamie, where do you think you're going?" Luke asked me.

"If I'm going to be stuck here for God knows how long, then I'm getting some supplies."

"Like what?"

"Oh you know, the essentials. Food, water, more pillows and blankets. Maybe a charger?" I mumbled that last part.

I snuck out the door, down the stairs, out the door, and treaded down the street to the nearest store. I walked in the door and a small ding sounded, notifying that a customer had walked in. There was a man behind the counter who looked to be about my age. He had dark brown hair, tan skin and was about 2 inches taller than me. He turned to look at me and smiled. I blushed slightly.

'No' I thought, 'you're getting sidetracked. Just get what you need and go.' I told myself.

I walked around the store and collected what I needed. It was a small store about the size of my old living room. Surprisingly, though, they had everything I needed. As I walked to the counter, the boy from before started to ring up my items. His bright blue nametag read "Hello! My name is Dan."
I shrugged. I thought a cute boy like him would have a nicer name. Eh I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

"Your total is 17.38." I started laughing as I took out my wallet. Dan had a confused look on his face. "I'm sorry, are you okay miss?"

"Oh yeah, sorry I'm fine, just my
t-total is uh, I coughed, 1738!" I said louder while laughing. He must have realized what that meant because his face started to turn red from being embarrassed by not noticing that before. He smiled and a small chuckle escaped his lips. I pulled out a 20 dollar bill and handed it to him before returning a soft smile. He gave me my change and looked down.

"I'm sorry but I just wanted to tell you that your laugh is really adorable." He said with blush dusted on his cheeks.

"O-Oh, thank you very much." I said quietly. "Your smile is really cute too.."

"Thank you.. May I- May I have your name?"

"It's Jamie."

"That's beautiful."

I thanked him once more and we exchanged numbers. At the time I didn't realize how bad of an idea that was; I was still giddy from all the compliments being passed around. I walked out of the building and wasn't watching where I was walking when I heard a car horn blare. I was crossing the street and I turned and came face to face with a bright red Lamborghini. I pushed my hands up to shield myself.

I felt strong hands push against my side hard enough to make me fall out of the way. Then someone fell next to me. He groaned as he hit the ground hard. I turned to face my savior and saw that it was Dan. My eyes instinctively searched him for any injuries and they landed on his ankle. It was swollen purple and blue. I sat up and tried to soothe him.

"Dan? Are you okay?? What are you doing here?"

"I-I'm fine, Jamie, you really need to be, ow, more careful. He said groaning the entire time.

"Why? Why did you come save me?"

"You forgot your groceries" he laughed before wincing.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, please let's get you to a doctor." I helped him to his feet and he leaned on me as we attempted to walk to the doctor which was conveniently only a few buildings away from the first grocery store. I ran back inside to grab my bags and met Dan outside. I helped him to the doctor and we waited until his name was called for an appointment we just planned. His name was eventually called by a young nurse.
"Daniel Evans"

"I'll be back Jamie, wait here." He limped towards the door and the nurse helped him the rest of the way to the doctor's office. I sat in the waiting room patiently until the nurse came out with news.
——————————————————
Hey guys! How did you like this chapter? New characters anyone? Plz leave some suggestions in the comments so I can improve if necessary! I'm going to start asking questions after each chapter. Question of the day: What's your favorite band and/or singer?
-Pipey💕