Chapter Twenty Three

Owl sat in the camp alone. His thoughts went to Leaf. He was in love with her, that was for sure. But she could quite possibly be dead! No, no. He wouldn't believe that. She must be alive. She must! He decided after he took over the world, he'd go looking for her. Than she would become his mate and they could lead the pack together! A smile crept onto his face at the thought.

He imagined them running, side by side into battle, leading the pack of tough, strong, wolves that they allowed to join. She'd have pups one day for sure, and he'd raise one of them to be his successor. Pleased with his plans, he got up and went into the forest. It was summer now, he  realized. The grass was bright green, flowers blossoming, and birds singing joyfully from perches on the trees.

None of this mattered to him. He cared naught about beauty. He didn't care what his territory looked like, as long as it had plenty of prey, was huge, and was fiercely defended against other packs. One day, he told himself, he'd have all the territory he could want. All the wolves would have to join his pack, or go far, far away.

As he walked, he considered who he would allow to join the new pack. Icyeyes would definitely not approve of his plans. And he wouldn't want to give up his position as leader. So Owl would have to drive him out or kill him. Silver and Blackmoon were very loyal, but they might be persuaded to join. Featherwish never would. Especially if they drove out Icyeyes. Fox... he realized he had no idea about Fox. What would he do? He decided he'd wait and see. He also couldn't predict Jay's choice. 

He'd find out though, when he was taking over.