Chapter Eighteen

Russetbone swallowed hard as she saw the river before her. Taking a deep breath, she sniffed the air again. Yes, she definitely smelled Leaf. And three other wolves she didn't recognize the scent of. Perhaps they were new in the pack. Where were the other wolves? She didn't know, but she guessed that Leaf could lead her to them. She leaped into the river without a second thought. Water filled her mouth and nose, but she refused to breath in. Turning her paws through the fast-moving water, she reached the surface and breathed in the fresh air. She swam through the water as fast as she could, and made it to the other side. She ran as fast as she could, following the scent. It led her to a big train, which was moving quickly. To her surprise, it appeared that Leaf had gotten on a train cart less than two minuets ago.

She knew she wouldn't be able to catch up to that train cart, since the train was moving faster than she could run. So instead she jumped onto the nearest train cart, and sat down inside. Soon when the train stopped, she would find Leaf. And hopefully, Leaf would be able to lead her to the other pack.

Two days later, Leaf sat with Brick, staring out the train window at the trees that whizzed by. She looked at him, and was surprised at the warmth that she saw in his amber eyes. She realized that the same look was probably reflected in her own green ones. He met her gaze and they starred at each other for a moment. "I'm sorry you had to leave your pack. We wouldn't have brought you with us if we'd known."

Looking into his honest amber eyes, she believed him. "I know." She whispered. "Thank you."

Smiling his wolf smile, he was silent for a moment.

Feelings of happiness swirled around inside her, almost overwhelming. She realized just how fond of the brown wolf she really was. She didn't know who leaned in first, but their noses touched and for a few seconds before they both pulled away, all her sadness about her pack was swept away by the new feelings of happiness.