Part One

Part One

I stood at the gate, looking at the giant archway. It was made of stone and was basically one giant carving. It consisted of two Dragons that appeared to be flying and had their necks intertwined and gazing down at me. The gate doors were tall and iron, the type one would find around a really big and really old graveyard. The Iron Gate went all the around the camp, which was like seven and a half miles or something.

“Enyx!” My mother called turning and taking yet another picture of me. I groaned. “Come on! We’ve got to go get you signed in!” I groaned again, and picked up my duffel bag, lugging the heavy thing over the threshold and into ‘Dragon Training Camp.’

I was carrying two duffel bags and one backpack. I was going to be staying here for several years because I was going to be training to join the Air Force and US Army. At least, that was the plan that Spade and I had agreed on.

Spade was my Dragon. And I was his Rider. Neither one of us liked being claimed by the other because then it sounded like we were simply using the other. So, we simply agreed to say we were both each others and one and the same and to leave it at that.

Spade was a black and green Shifter Dragon. Being a Shifter Dragon meant that Spade could change into different Dragon forms. He had what scientists had dubbed ‘adapting blood.’ There had only been three in existence so far, one is 2013, one in 2036 and then Spade. Only catch with his Shifting? He had to have seen, in person, the Dragon form he wished to change into. He usually stayed in Eastern Dragon form though.

Spade, at the moment, was in miniature and wrapped around my shoulders, resting comfortably with both my hair and jacket collar acting as a slight shade from the sun. He’d slept for most of the day, from the time we’d boarded the plane to now. Apparently, flying in a plane made him sleepy.

I looked around my ‘home’ for the next few years. It was big and set up kind of like military school. To the left were all the living quarters and things. The ‘barracks,’ mess hall and the showers. There was also the Main House, which was basically a giant house full of Dragon records that went all the way back to the beginning.

To the right were all of the training supplements. There were the launch pads, because we weren’t supposed to just randomly take off into the air. There were horse stables, for those with animal connections. And for obvious reasons, there was an archery field, a self defense area, a weapon training area and an inside training area. There were also all of the classrooms for those that still needed schooling. And one building that was labeled as ‘Lab.’

There were a couple trees here and there, but they were mostly surrounded in bricks and bushes like you’d find in a park. They provided a little shade. I could hear and smell a water source. That was another thing the brochure had said, there was a man-made river that flowed around and through the camp.

The camp was literally crawling with Dragons and Riders. If Dragons were in miniature form, they would be clinging around shoulders or on Riders legs. If they were in full form, they were either following Riders or Riders were riding on them.

Well, this will be fun.’ Spade’s sarcastic voice filled my head.

You’re awake!’ I exclaimed, looking at him. His head was resting on his front paws but his green eyes were open.

Of course.’ He snorted. ‘Too many scents to not be awake.

No need to be snippy about it.’ I grumbled.

And what has you in a mood?’ He asked. He opened his mouth and yawned widely.

Hmm, let’s see! You left me alone for a good total of eight hours to deal with my overly excited mother on my own.’ I retorted, glaring at him.