Part Five

I woke slowly. My insides hurt and so did my head. My insides felt like they were on fire again while my head simply felt like a headache. My back ached too. That was probably due to the fact that I was laying on a table rather then a bed though.

Opening my eyes I was white. Breathing in, I smelled the sterile scent of a hospital, or in my case, the infirmary. Trying to sit up, I groaned with pain.

One thing was comforting, however. Spade lay on my legs. I had a clear view of his right leg and it was perfectly healed. That explained why my leg didn’t hurt anymore.

I breathed in sharply as I remembered what happened, what I’d done. Breathing fire, burning Swamp to an unconscious state. I’d probably just made an enemy out of Matthew and Swamp. At least, if I hadn’t ended up killing the pair.

My face was wet. I was crying. Tears were rolling down my face in gallons and soaking the blanket I was under. Spade had woken up and was getting wet also, rubbing against my face like a cat. A quiet but strong purr was rumbling form him.

A nurse walked in then. Without a word, she smiled at me. She walked over to the window and thrust open the blinds. I winced at the sudden light, the pain in my head worsening. Still not talking, the nurse checked my leg over. It was perfectly healed.

She made me do a couple breathing exercises, speaking in short commands. When she was done, she handed me a glass of water and I gulped greedily. When I finished two glasses, she was gone.

However, she was quickly replaced with the tenants of Cabin Six. They all came falling and stumbling into my room. They all started shouting questions, asking how I was feeling and what I did. Apparently, not all of them had been present and gossip had been unreliable in the two days I was unconscious. I just smiled and sat there, letting them talk.

Madame walked in then. She did not look at all pleased. Everyone became silent as she walked to the bottom of my bed.

“And how is the little fire-breather, hmm?” She asked. Her voice was sickly-sweet and I was walking on thin ice. Not that I realized it.

“I’m fine. How are you?” I retorted in the same voice. Something flashed in her eyes.

“I’m not at all ‘fine,’ as you put it.” She snarled coldly. “Did you know that Matthew’s family tried to sue you?”

“No, as a matter of fact I didn’t. You see, I’ve been unconscious for a couple of days.” I said, smiling sweetly at her. “Did the sue go through?”

“No, it did not! We had to pay over fifty thousand dollars to appease them. Plus we had to pay for Matthew’s health bill.” Madame said. “Let’s leave it at the government is not at all happy with your stunt!”

“Madame!” Jay barked. “You know as well as I do, other Riders in the War with Fire Magic breathed fire when they were cornered. It was defense that protected them back then and it happened again because Matthew attacked Enyx.” He stated, glaring at her. His voice dared her to deny it. “It was an instinct!”

Without another word, Madame spun on her heel and left the room. Beck turned to Jay and held his hand out in a high five. I had a gut feeling that Madame wasn’t through.

Everyone laughed though. Buttercup jumped onto my bed. She was so sweet and innocent looking.

“Can you breathe fire at will?” She asked. Her head was cocked at and angle.

“I don’t know.” I answered with a shrug. It hurt my chest though, so I made the decision not to if I could help it.

“It was your first time, right?” Maxx asked, though it sounded more like an observation then a question. I got the vague feeling he might’ve been going over and over the battle.