Battling the Past

"E-Edith? its me. Johnny, we used to play when we were kids remember?" He asked with a little look in his eyes. But I couldn't remember I honestly don't remember. I looked at him then back at Alex helping him set up. I mostly ignored trying to cover up Alex's wounds. Luckily, they weren't bad, just a little bit of blood here and there but his shirt was ruined, Alex after a while of whimpering changed where blood was dripping off his chest with his clothes torn and stained with red.

"Edith? Why won't you-" he laid his hand on my shoulder. I smacked his hand back standing up holding Alex up.

"Don't touch me! I don't know or remember you. Just leave us alone" I yelled, I was furious I mean he attacked my friend almost killing him then he's trying to make friends, seriously? This was stupid.

I lightly walk over to the counter leaning Alex on it as I tore my shirt and pressed it against Alex's wound. The wound was right on his shoulder, we were lucky that "Johnny" didn't bite his actually neck, he just barely missed. I still kept an eye on the boy who looked about our age. He was tending to his own wounds that looked pretty bad. He stayed quiet for a while then looked at us

"I'm sorry, I didn't know it was you...If you'd mind, I can treat his wounds. I'm kinda a medical student." He mumbled that last part

I wasn't falling for it, not for a minute. How could I trust him with Alex? I mean come on i'm not stupid. But Alex, oh Alex gave in. He gave me that look that told me that he needed him. Ugh. I kept the cloth on his chest keeping the pressure.

"How do I know I can trust you?"I asked glancing at him,

"I knew your mother.... Samantha Scarlett.... She used to let me stay her when my folks fought we would make our own smores with a microwave and pretend we didn't make a huge mess so we wouldn't have to clean it." He lightly chuckled with what seemed like a light blush on his cheeks then he looked at me walking closer "You honestly don't remember anything?" he asked.

I looked up at him then back at Alex "No I don't. Now hurry up and do what you need to do, but you hurt him any more you won't have to worry about that wound." I said before shoving him the cloth. I was tired so I sat on the floor a few feet away from them to keep an eye on him. But I needed to think. Do I really know him? He did know my mothers name..I haven't heard it out loud in a long time.

After a while of thinking, Johnny was done with Alex's wounds. It seemed that it worked because Alex's color came back to his face. I guess it didn't take long for Alex and John to forgive and forget. They had a nice long conversation about some kind of movie. Weird. But it was nice to see Alex smile. It didn't take long for Johnny to come over and strike another conversation. He sat down somewhat close beside me, keeping his distance which was smart in this situation.

"I really am sorry, it was hard to tell it was you but your smell and color of your fur seemed familiar and it would make sense if you showed up so I kinda connected the dots." Now that I was actually listening he had some kind of accent. Like a little southern but more civilized. He gave a small smile as he gestured toward my bleeding arm and I nodded lightly as he treated it.

"Why were you here?" I asked being curious

"I didn't really have anywhere else to go, the Exiles took over the bayou and most of Louisiana." He said as he started to treat and wrap his own wound. "They have control over some of the tribes too."

"The Exiles? Who are they?" I asked

"You don't know? They're the wolves that went rogue. We've been fighting over territory for years.. The Exiles are wolves that believe they were superior to the chiefs of other tribes and humans, as every wolf knows we protect the humans. But they wanted to rule and control them. Your father was the one who lead the tribes to war and we almost won too......." Johnny looker down with a small sigh

"What happened to my father?" This was getting way to serious "Johnny you have to tell me is he okay?"

"After your mother died and your father lost both you and your brother he gave up his title and disappeared. That robber that supposedly tried to rob your house? That was an Exile trying to cover it up but he died that night. I suppose you don't remember do you?"

"I-I.....remember my mother telling us to run and hide, but that man found us..he grabbed me by my hair trying to hurt me but my mom hit him with something. Next thing I remember seeing two bodies on the ground and me and my brother crying over momma.." I lightly sniffles holding back the small tears that were balling up in my eyes. So that means my mom was murdered..in cold blood for a stupid war? I wasn't depressed I was pissed and a little sad maybe.

"What happened to my tribe?" I asked my voice lightly shaking.

"The Scarlett tribe are in hiding till a leader of the noble blood leads them. That could be you Edith."
I thought maybe getting revenge for my mother and what they did to my life. But what about my brother and dad? What really happened to him.
"I need some time to think. But thanks for telling me this and for helping us." I lightly smiled as wiping the small tears that surfaced. "I'm gonna get some sleep." I said before walking over to Alex that was already laying down half asleep on the messed up couch.

"I know you heard all that. What do you think Alex? We can help both our tribes and you'll finally see your parents."

"I don't know Edith this is war we're talking about and you want to lead an army right in the middle of it. Its not the smartest thing. " he sighed glancing at me.
"I think we should find your family first then help our tribes. It would be easier."

"Yeah....I guess you're right..." Edith thought for a moment and laid down on the other couch "Goodnight." She said before getting comfy and going to sleep.

Alex looked at her with a small smile almost staring before changing into a wolf glazing at her "Goodnight Edith..."