Return of the Ducks

I roll my eyes as Dean Buckley clears his throat. "Do I have a motion for reconsideration?" he asks the table of fancily-dressed old people in front of him. I fiddle around with the sleeve of my navy jacket, which I had worn with a white button-down and dress pants for this meeting.

The members of the board whisper quietly, but no one makes an effort to say that they want to keep us at Eden. The Varsity team across the room looks smugly at us, knowing that they're going to win easily at this rate.

Charlie shakes his head as Orion looks down at the ground. "I'm sorry, Coach," Buckley says. "But, unless there is a motion from a board member and a second, the decision must stand."

I close my eyes to keep from crying. I can't leave Eden. All my friends are here. Dwayne is here. If I have to leave, I'll never get to see him. I don't want to lose him. But, it seems inevitable that I will.

"You leave us no choice," Orion says, making me very confused. Did I miss something? I was not told about a 'Plan B'. "But to bring in our attorney." Attorney!? What the hell is going on!?

Charlie smirks while the rest of us look unsure. I guess only Charlie and Orion knew about this. My head turns to the right as the door opens, and Coach Bombay walks in. Did not see that coming.

"Dean Buckley, and the Board," he starts as he moves towards the front of the room. "As council for Coach Orion and the Freshmen Hockey Team, I'm here today to set forth your legal options, so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned."

"Mr. Bombay," Dean Buckley says, not looking thrilled at his presence. "This isn't a legal proceeding."

Coach Bombay turns to Buckley. "Not yet. But, I can assure you that it will be. You mind?" he asks as he hands Buckley his briefcase. He pulls out a brown leather folder, containing one of the scholarships we received. "These scholarships, an offer, became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients. An acceptance, by the Ducks. They cannot be voided except by cause, which I guarantee you, you have none. Should you decide to pursue your cancelation, I will slap you with an injunction, I will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. And I will collect damages. I will win. Because I am very, very good. You know why I'm so good? Because I had a good education. You gave it to me. And you're going to give it to these kids."

"He is good," Orion whispers as Bombay walks past.

"Just getting started," Charlie replies.

"Now," Bombay continues. "Some of you may be snobbish enough to believe that these Ducks don't belong at Eden Hall. But, let me tell you. You are dead wrong. These are remarkable young people. You give them their full shot, and I promise you they will succeed, not only on the ice, but in the classrooms as well. These people are my friends. And I know what they can do. Accordingly, I demand that you reinstate their scholarships for their benefit, and for your own." Bombay steps away, and I resist the urge to applaud him for this speech.

The room is silent as Orion and Bombay shake hands. The Board members look at each other, no one saying anything. My hope slowly starts diminishing. That is, until a red-haired woman in the front speaks up. "I move that the scholarships be reinstated."

"Is there a second?" Buckley asks while the Ducks look around at each other with smile. Dwayne grabs my hand and gives it a squeeze, which I return. The man next to the red-head raises his hand. "All in favor?" Almost the whole table lifts a hand into the air. "Scholarships reinstated."

We cheer, and I hug Dwayne, before being pulled into a different embrace by Connie and Julie. All the Ducks clap excitedly, and words don't begin to describe how happy I am. Bombay hugs Orion, then Charlie, and eventually, we're all getting hugs from our original coach.