Chapter 20

Josh's POV

Ring- http://www.gullei.com/custom-name-engraved-diamond-korean-style-promise-ring-for-her.html

I wake up and it's early morning the next day. Lauren is asleep beside me.I move off the bed, carefully so I don't wake her. I go to the bathroom and I change into basketball shorts and a shirt with the sides cut out of it.

I walk out of the bathroom and start to put my running shoes on.

"Where are you going?" I hear Lauren ask. I look up. She's sitting in the bed watching me. I walk over and sit beside her.

"Just out for a run on the beach."

"I could go with you."

"You need your rest. I'll be back in an hour or 2." I say kissing her forehead. "I love you."

"Love you too." She mumbles, already about to fall back asleep.

--------------

I get out of the hotel and walk over to the beach. I start playing a plays list that's full of all the songs Lauren has sang to me, along with some that keep me motivated while I run.

The whole time I'm running I can't stop thinking about Lauren. I want to get her something. Not just some random present. I want it to mean something. A ring maybe. Not an engagement ring, we're both to young for that. Maybe a promise ring. I decide I'll get her one, but for now I just want to finish my run.

When I'm done running it's been an hour and half. Lauren is probably still asleep so she won't notice the half hour difference. I decided to stop at a diner and get us some breakfast. I order us pancakes.

I get back to the hotel and sure enough she's asleep. I try to make a little bit of noise so I don't have to wake her up myself. She wakes up.

"I brought breakfast. You can go ahead and eat but I need to shower first."

"I don't know Josh you look kind of hot all sweaty like that." She says laughing.

"You're crazy. I look gross." I say. I walk to the bathroom to take a shower.

---------------------

"Are you leaving again?" She asks when I walk out of the bathroom in shorts and t-shirt.

"Yeah I need to get something."

I eat my breakfast, kiss Lauren goodbye, and head out the door.

I head to a jeweler's just down the street.

"Hi! Can Help you?" A middle aged woman asks me

"Yeah, um I'm trying to find a ring for my girlfriend." I tell her.

"An engagement ring?"

"Well, not really. More like a promise ring?"

"Ok..what style?" She asks.

"I don't know anything about rings." I say.

She smiles "that's what I'm here for."

When I get back I try to think of something creative to do with it. But honestly I just want to keep it simple. So I very carefully slide it on her finger, fortunately not waking her up.

I don't really have anything else to do, so I decide to watch TV.

-----------

Lauren's POV

I wake up and run my hands through my hair. I feel something on my left finger. I look down and almost scream. It's a beautiful diamond ring. It had one big diamond then little ones.

"Josh!" I yell

He runs in looking concerned. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong is that I'm only 20 years old and there's a special looking ring on a certain finger." I say. I try not to but I laugh anyway.

"it's not and engagement ring, and you don't have to wear it on that finger." He laughs.

"What's it for then?" I ask him.

Josh's POV

"It's a promise ring. I promise to love you and take care of you. And I promise that someday there will be an engagement ring on there. I don't want to live without you." I tell her.

She starts crying. But she's smiling. And laughing. She's looking at her ring. And she kisses me. And pulls me into the bed with her.

"It love it. And I love you. And I can't live without you Josh. You saved me." She says.

"Saved you?" I ask.

She runs her hand through her hair. "Before I met you I didn't really know what to do with my life. I went to college because that's just what everyone else was doing. I didn't know what to major in, or who to hang out with. I wanted to give up. But you saved me Josh. I love you."

"I love you." I tell her. How could I not? I add in my head.