Chapter 3 - First Impressions

Represents Dark personality speaking inside Evangelina's head.

Represents Light personality speaking inside Evangelina's head.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Evangelina POV

"Our first tournament, Diamond Direwolf versus Baraka!"

Shang Tsung's repulsive voice jostled me out of my thoughts. I knew this was not going to be easy. I would be judged. I had to act weak, and appear to win each match by a small margin. Then, I would have a slight advantage over the other fighters.

I made my way to the arena and studied my opponent. It was a trait I was accustomed to ever since I had to ward off antagonists in my past  personal life.

Tarkatan breed. Looks like a formidable opponent.

But do not forget that Tarkatans are known to be unintelligent. They are reckless as their spirit is bold. Use this to your advantage.

And remember to always keep your guard up. These beasts can be very unpredictable. I propose a long-range weapon. Perhaps your whips would do the trick?

Use them to draw your opponent in, and punish them.

Smiling to myself, I got into a fighting pose. Not that anybody could see my devilish grin. After all, I was wearing my mask, cowl, and light armor that didn't betray the fact that I was actually a female.

Yes, many people in the arena actually thought that I was a MALE. I mean, how insulting! I am nothing like those half-wit beings that think themselves superior above women.

"FIGHT!!!",  Shang Tsung shouted.

Baraka ran towards me as I waited for him to come. As soon as he was within an arms reach away from me, I sidestepped, making him stumble. I could have easily somersaulted over him, and I had to restrain myself.

Remember, don't give away your true talents!

Deceive the others so you can win the harder battles.

Using my whips that extended from a small capsule on the wrists of my armor, I lashed them out and they came into contact with the enemy.I pulled him to me and landed a flurry of punches that should have broke his ribs. I did this sloppily as to not give myself away. I slashed with my left hand downwards, cutting the bone in his right calf. I pushed him away, and jumped backwards. He limped towards me, where I used my whip to wrap it around his neck, pulled him towards me, and drove my knee into his skull. However, he managed to land a cut on my arm, and it began to heal.

Baraka paused, uncertain. I grinned. "Healing factor", I responded, loud enough for everyone to hear. It was a shame that even my mask disguised my voice as a man's.

Unfortunately, I knew that this was only effective for small injuries. If I was hurt severely, it would probably take a few more days to heal.

Lunging at my weakened enemy, I finished him with a series of sloppily marked hits to the gut and face.

"FINISH HIM!!!"

I paused. Looking at the other combatants, I studied their expressions. Most were unimpressed. Good.

Using both whips, I wrapped them around my opponent and willed the barbs to protrude. His intestines fell out of his gut area, and I used a bit of telekinesis to wrap them around my opponent, wrapping him head to toe. The audience groaned in disgust, but I wasn't done. Not yet.

Whistling, I summoned my pet. A puppy direwolf, about one year old. It was hardly taller than half of my lower leg, but then it began to morph. It grew bigger. Now, the sleek silver  coat had turned shaggy and unkempt. Its jawline was decorated with rows of razor sharp teeth. Now, my pet direwolf, Luna, stood up to my shoulders. She hesitated at my raised hand. I put it down in a fast motion, granting her permission.

She leapt at the corpse, and began to tear at it, revealing more access to its insides. Once she had achieved a fitting position for her meal, she began to devour it. NOW, I could hear groaning from the audience, as well as some weaker combatants. Satisfied, I looked at the spawn area.

Before the tournament, everyone was given bracelets that allowed us to recover from a fatality done to a person. They would magically be reformed, but the bracelets did not subdue any pain. They still felt everything. Baraka had just materialized, and was glaring at me. I scoffed internally.

Looking at the others, I raised an eyebrow.

And vanished.