October 12, 2016

Grace is staying over at Julia's tonight, which makes me feel a lot less guilty for picking up an extra shift at the diner. I usually try to avoid night shifts because they suck and I hate leaving Grace at home that late by herself, but we need the money. At least tonight I know she's with someone she trusts, not home alone where some murderer could break in.

Then again, for all I know, Julia is a murderer.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not 100% comfortable with Grace staying over her girlfriend's house when I haven't officially met her. I mean, yeah, she seems nice from the pictures I've seen and the stories I've heard, but that's not the same as actually meeting someone face to face.

I made Grace promise to do her best to convince Julia to meet me. I can't go on like this. Yes, I'm her sister, not her mom, and I have absolutely no say in the matter, but I need to know that Grace is safe. Is that really too much to ask?

‣‣‣

I can't believe this is happening. I can't breathe. I can't think. I can't.

Grace is gone.

I was cleaning up the diner when I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I ignored it at first, but then they called again and again and so I picked up. It was Grace. And she was calling from a place called St. Montgomery's.

A mental hospital.

I can't believe this is happening. One moment, my sister is sleeping over her girlfriend's house, and the next she's in a freaking mental hospital. What the hell!

I tried to ask her what was going on, but she was crying so much I couldn't understand a word she was saying. So I drove down there and talked to her new doctor, Dr. McFarland. God, he's such a prick. He just stood there, watching me panic about the fact that Grace is locked up and scared and alone. Waited me out like I was one of his patients. And then he told me in the most unbelievably condescending way that Grace is delusional.

According to him, she broke into Julia's dorm room and tried to force herself on her. My Grace. My Grace, who couldn't hurt a freaking fly, let alone sexually assault the girl she has feelings for.

I tried to tell him this was just some horrible mistake. "You don't understand," I said. "They're dating!"

But, according to Julia, they're not. She has a steady boyfriend who walked in on this whole thing and saved her from the evil that is my sister.

Bullshit!

They were hesitant, but they let me see Grace for a couple minutes before asking me to leave. God, she looked so hopeless. The brightness inside of her was gone, replaced with this miserable, broken, scared little girl. "I had to check myself in, Tess," she told me. "If I didn't, she was going to press charges."

I can't believe I left her there alone.

But most of all, I can't believe Julia. She cheated on Grace. And then, when she got caught, she decided to ruin Grace's life instead of owning up to her mistake.

If Julia were here right now, I would wrap my fingers around her throat.