The Call

The next morning, I woke at six. I had went to bed earlier than usual so an early wake up call was expected. 

I went to the bathroom, after grabbing a pair of jeans an an orange sweater from my closet. It wasn't so cold outside that I had to wear a sweater, but it was chilly enough to feel comfortable in one. 

After my shower, I did my hair to the best of my ability and went to the kitchen. It pulled a glass from the cabinet and orange juice from the fridge. Walking to the couch, I grabbed Rhett's laptop off the kitchen table.

I wasn't really on the internet much, but when I was, it was mainly to catch up on Shane Dawson's videos on YouTube. After about the fifth conspiracy theory video, I felt myself grow anxious and decided that it was time to get my day started.

I flipped on the TV and searched the channels until I found the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I always watched this with my grandmother on Thanksgiving. It was tradition. 

I watched as the floats and balloons paraded down 77th Street.  I always loved the balloons the most. There were always familiar faces and then some new. And that intrigued me.

At about 8:30, Rhett walked into the living room, wearing a pair of sweatpants. His hair was a mess and his eyes were surrounded by dark circles.

"Good morning," I said, looking up at him. He groaned, rubbing circles into his back, "Good morning."

"Long night?"

He shrugged, "Yeah, I guess. My back was acting up. I couldn't get comfortable which means I couldn't sleep."

I frowned a little, rubbing his back, "I'm sorry. Do you want me to get you some aspirin or-"

He smiled, "Nah. Don't worry about it. I'm fine Whatcha watching?"

I smiled as the parade came back on the screen. He grinned, leaning back into the couch, "Ah yes. Macy's." 

"Me and grandma used to watch this every year. It was a tradition for us, I guess you could say. I never got tired of it. It's probably my favorite thing about Thanksgiving."

Rhett looked over at me, a look on his face that I can't quiet explain, "Well, how about we keep that tradition going? You and me?"

I found myself smiling like I did when grandma called me down on Christmas morning as a little girl. "I'd like that."

--

About three hours later, we heard a knock on the door. Rhett had since then taken a shower and got dressed. He looked like a dad who didn't cook on Thanksgiving, probably because he was.

He opened the door, to see  well dressed Link standing on the porch. He held a few extra pans that we needed for today's meal. He was smiling cheekily, "Good morning guys," he said, stepping into the house. Rhett took the pans from him and placed them on the counter. He looked at me sitting on the couch, "Ready to get this thing going?" he asked.

I smiled, stood, and followed Link to the kitchen.

--

We had only been cooking for an hour when Rhett came up asking about how much longer it'd be before we ate. Link shrugged, "About two hours maybe? I still have to pull the chicken off the stove. I've gotta shred in and then Pride and I will mix the dressing and pop it in the oven. So yeah, about two hours."

Rhett sighed, putting his arms around Link's middle, "That's too long, Link."

Link was blushing at Rhett's touch, "I'm sorry."

Rhett said nothing and rested his head on top of Link's.

"Okay, well, what can I do?" he finally asked. I was currently breaking apart the cornbread for the dressing while Link was preparing the deviled eggs. Link looked around, eyeing the things that were left to be done, "You can peel the potatoes."