Halloween Party?

We arrived home at 7. 

We had been to the grocery store where we picked up a few things for us to try. I decided that tonight, I wouldn't make a big meal, so I made a macaroni and cheese dinner for us.

Rhett knew how to boil water, so he told me he would make dinner tonight. I gave him a shot at it. Mainly because I was anxious to read Melanie's letter.

Giving Rhett the pan, I went to my room. I threw my shoes off, and put on a comfortable pair of pajamas. I looked around in my bag for the paper, hoping I had not lost it.

Luckily enough, I found it in the side pocket of my bag.

I took it to my desk, where I sat and read.

Precious, 

I know you're being adopted right now. This happened with the last girl who was in our room. They come and take you away with a smile, acting like they are the happiest people on Earth. At first, you probably think that you're in trouble, but then you spot your new family and you realize you're wanted. I'm glad you're wanted, Precious. You deserve a better life. But I will miss you. Because when you thought you weren't wanted, you were wrong. I've always wanted you. I hope whoever has come to claim you has a heart of gold and treats you as so. Thanks for giving me a few good days. You'll always be my favorite person. 

Melanie xoxo

Laying the letter on the desk, I felt hot tears brimming my eyes. Although I had only known Melanie for a week, it felt like forever. Losing her hurt too, but I'm glad she understands. I'm glad I'm here with Rhett.

I wiped away a tear on my cheek and ripped a page out of my notebook. I began to write.

I told her about Rhett and my new room. I told her about enrolling in school and all the classes I'd be taking. I told her about myself and how I was coping with all of this.

I didn't stop crying until Rhett knocked on my door, "Pride, dinner's ready."

I wiped my face quickly, "Alright, I'll be right there."

I finished up my letter and folded it, placing it in an envelope that I marked "Melanie". Then I hurried to the kitchen, where Rhett had made two bowls of seemingly okay macaroni and cheese.

--

Dinner was good. I was proud of Rhett. He actually made dinner in his own home instead of resorting to Burger King.

"Thank you for dinner," I said as he took my dishes. 

"Of course," he said.

I looked around the house, becoming bored.

"Have you ever decorated for the holidays? Or do you celebrate them?"

He shrugged, "I celebrate them, but I never really decorate." 

I nodded, "So...what are you doing this Halloween?"

He finished the dishes with a thoughtful expression on his face, "Um...well...I haven't really thought about it. It's only the beginning of October."

I smiled, walking to the couch, "Well, it's never too early to start planning."

He sat next to me, a questioning look on his face, "What do you suggest we do?"

"I think we should have a movie night. I don't trick or treat, but I do watch movies. So why not do that?"

He smiled, "That sounds thrilling. Let's do it."

"But, I think we should invite some of your friends..."

His smile faded, "Well...Um, that sounds great and all,  but all of my coworkers have kids, they'll be busy. I don't have many friends."

I smile, "What about Link?"

Rhett's face grew red, "Link?"

"Yeah, the mailman."

He nodded, "I know who you're talking about but...I...I don't know..."

I shook my head, "Ask him. Tomorrow."

I stood, "Now, I'm headed to bed. Goodnight, Rhett. See you in the morning."

He waved me goodbye and told me goodnight.

Once I was in my room, I set out my outfit for school and got in bed.

I knew Rhett liked Link, and I knew Link liked Rhett. So why can't I help them realize it?

--------------

Short chapter, but that's okay. Hope you guys like it! 

You're awesome! 

Always remember to be your mythical best!

-Robin