Chapter 6

Two months passed. I worked with my microscope every day, worked on my normal lessons every other day, and called Linny every week. She was still obsessed with the Hunger Games books. Her fangirl attack when she finished Mockingjay was incoherent to me; it involved a lot of "Oh my god"s, heavy breathing, and screaming. Naturally, I sent her the movies for her birthday, and naturally, she freaked out.

But the sixth week of the two months, Linny didn't call. Or pick up when I called her. I didn't think anything of it, I figured I would just ask Sarah when I went back to get some medication a few days after.

*****

"Hey Sarah, have you heard anything about Linny?" I ask.

Her composure breaks. "Oh. Hunter, Linny- Linny moved."

"What? When? I-" She moved without telling me?!

"I really don't know anything about it, Hunter. I'm sorry. I just came in for work a few days ago and Dr. Lane told me Linny moved up to Iowa for treatment. Don't ask me what for, I don't know." She finishes packaging my medicine and leaves.

I walk to our garden, confused because Linny hadn't told me anything. There is something white sticking up from the dirt. I uncover it. It's a letter. Addressed to me.

"Dear Hunter,

I know you will find this letter soon after I leave. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I've known you so long, it was too painful.

I've been having lots of occlusions near my hips. All those blockages made it hard for my hip bones to get oxygen and stuff, so over the past few months my hips have just gotten weaker and weaker. I think you suspected something last time, and I'm sorry I blew you off. Anyway, two months ago, my hips were collapsing. It obviously really hurt when I walked, as you could tell. I started using crutches right after you left, but they didn't really help. So me, Mom, Dad, Lacey, and Lucas are moving to Iowa so that my hips can be fixed. There's a really good place up there. They will try to see if the bones can heal, but if not, I will get hip replacements. Ew. That sounds really gross, especially since I'm only fourteen hahaha! But yeah, it will take at least a year for the trial, procedure, then recovery; more than a year for check ups and stuff, so my parents just decided to up and move.

I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner.

Please write! You have my email! And my new number is 553-675-2205!

Love and farewell,

Lillian Grey