Chapter 8

"I just need something from my room," I tell Kya at the front desk.

"Make it quick," she nods from her seat.

I smile thanks and go down the halls to my room. The room I used to share with Linny. I push the heavy door open and stop dead in my tracks.

"Who the hell are you?" a low, oh-so-welcome voice comes from Linny's side of the room. It's a guy, a few years older than me, and way taller. He has dark hair and a basketball wedged between his sneakered feet. He's sitting on Linny's bed.

"Excuse me, this is my room," I retort.

"What are you talking about? Floor 2, Room 58 is actually mine, I believe."

I narrow my eyes. "I don't think so. This has been my room since I was seven! I used to share it with my best friend!"

He stops. "Lillian Grey?"

"Yeah. How do you know that?"

He walks over to me and puts out his hand. "I'm Trevor Danes, your new cell mate. You're Hunter, right?"

I shrug and reach under my bed. Why didn't Kya tell me I had a new roommate?! I pull out my journal.

"Seriously dude? A diary?" Trevor is staring at me, still standing in the middle of the room. "Oh no," he groans. "Is this place gonna make me keep a diary, too?!"

"Sorry. It's not a diary, it's a scientific journal."

He snorts. "Whatever you say, kid."

I roll my eyes and push past him, out of the room.

"We'll work on that diary problem first!" he calls out after me.