Chapter 2

The next morning, I wake to blaring disco music. I can sort of hear angry mumbling from Linny's side of the room.

"Sarah....." I groan. "What time is it?"

She rips the curtain away and yells, "IT'S PARTY TIME!"

Linny snorts, "You kinda walked right into that one, Hunter."

Sarah starts doing the Macarena.

"Sarah, what in the world are you doing? Dancing the Macarena to disc-"

"Don't question me, Hunter!" she cuts me off. "Just because you're leaving in a few hours does not mean you can sass me!"

Linny whispers to the wall, "...and I introduce, our nurse, the amazing Sarah."

Sarah stops dancing and flips her pink hair back. "You guys are no fun," she huffs. "Anyway, I didn't do all this just to wake you up. One, I did it cause it's fun. And two, I did it because I want to introduce you to somebody! Mind if I steal your words, Linny? No? Kay. Drumroll please! .......I introduce, my boyfriend, the amazing Ben!"

A guy steps through the door. He is tall, college age, and looks like the polar opposite of Sarah. Sarah is always crazy and loud and easy to see, but this guy, Ben, is wearing glasses and a sweater vest. He looks like the quiet and studious type, but he has a smiling face and doesn't look like a total dweeb at least.

"Hey." He talks really nonchalantly. "Uh, yeah, so I'm Ben. You guys are Sarah's, what, patients?"

"Um yeah, I guess," Linny starts. "I'm Lillian, you can call me Linny, and that's Hunter," she nods toward me.

"Hi," I say pretty lamely. "So, how long have you guys been dating?" This is so awkward.

Ben smiles, "Eight months." He wraps his arms around Sarah. "Eight wonderful months."

Sarah closes her eyes and rocks in Ben's arms. "Oh honey, you're so sweet," she coos.

Linny and I look at each other. We're both thinking about the absurdity of Sarah's relationship. I mean, they are complete opposites.

Sarah sighs, but doesn't open her eyes or leave Ben's arms. "You're scheduled to leave in two hours, Hunter. We'll leave you and Linny alone till then." She and Ben walk out, hand in hand.

I look at Linny questioningly, but she seems just as confused as I am. "What's she talking about?"

"I have no idea." Linny pauses. "Anything you want to do before you leave?"

I think for a moment. "Let's go to the courtyard; we can check on our garden."

Linny nods, and we shuffle out of bed and walk to the courtyard. It's only a couple halls down, but we still have to stop at every corner just to rest. We finally get to the courtyard and find our garden box. There's a little metal plaque on the side of the box that says, "To our heroes, Lillian and Hunter, who taught us to never give up." It was donated by a third grade class which, two years ago, came on a field trip to the hospital and ended up spending the entire day talking and having fun with us. Linny and I weren't expecting anything- we honestly had a ton of fun with them- but their gift was the best gift we had ever gotten from anyone.

We spent the next few months planting flowers, fruit, and veggies, and the plants have grown so much since then that our garden box is almost overflowing! Linny skips around the box, collecting raspberries and strawberries, and puts them in one of the baskets we brought. Occasionally she eats one. I collect the tomatoes and snap peas, sometimes popping a yellow pear tomato into my mouth-they're my favorite. After we've collected all the ripe fruits and veggies, we start the walk back to our room, trading produce so that we have even amounts of everything.

We're not even back to our room when Linny speaks again. "Hunter, are you even trying? I know, I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but...you promised. And--I need that hope, Hunter. I-I need it." She's crying now, and she's making me cry.

"Please," I hug Linny. "Please, I swear, I'm trying. I'm doing everything I can; I'm even doing it in science and for my independent study. I just-Linny, it's hard. But I swear, I'm trying. Please."

We slide against the wall onto the floor, crying in each other's arms.