Chapter 12

I jump up, trying to force this stupid sphere into the hoop of death. The ball, not unlike the fifty tries before this one, is completely off, and almost hits a girl going down the slide.

Trevor looks like he's choking, he's trying so hard to contain his hysterics. "This was your idea," I grumble.

"I know! Okay, okay," he gasps. "I'll teach you."

I groan. Obviously I'm horrible, I've never done any sports in my life!

"So!" Trevor starts his lesson. "Stand here. Now, see the SpongeBob Square on the backboard?"

"Yeah, but why-"

"No interrupting," Trevor is still laughing. "It's what they taught us in first grade. Anyway, aim for the SpongeBob Square, and let the ball bounce off and into the hoop." Trevor expertly jumps and launches the ball, and of course it bounces into the basket- hook, line, and sinker. Wait, wrong sport.

Trevor passes the ball to me. I aim for the SpongeBob Square... and totally miss. Again.

This sends Trevor into a new round of laughing. I glare at him. "No, no, it really was better than the others. I promise," he tells me. Somehow, he doesn't seem trustworthy with tears streaming down his face.

I roll my eyes and try again. This time the ball hits the rim, and I suppress a cheer.

"Hey, look at that," Trevor looks really surprised, another boost to my confidence. "Try again! Once you make it, we'll go inside."

The next four throws each hit the rim and roll off. I get a little worked up, so on the fifth try, I throw the ball with some more oomph. Thunk, the ball smacks into the backboard and falls through the empty rim.

"Whoo!" Victory is totally sweet, but I am so ready to go back in.

"Good job, you're awesome, yada yada yada," Trevor calls, already walking inside, exhausted just from laughing. "Let's go."