Chapter 14: Time Flies When You're Not Alive

Jamie P.O.V

It seems like years have passed in minutes around me. Everything happens so quickly. I can hardly keep up.

Elizabeth cleaned up the house where I died and bought it. She told me that she would rather live here to preserve my memory than have some stranger come in and get rid of everything I had. Lizzy also didn't have much after moving out of her father's house. To this day they don't talk.

Time only continues to speed by. I was right by Lizzy's side the entire time. Many men tried to court her and I could see right through them. I told her the ones worth trying and about the ones that she should kick to the curb. She trusted me.

Eventually, she did find the perfect man for her. Even I approved. They took their time with the relationship. His name was Thomas and he doesn't know of my existence. Lizzy didn't want to scare off the one man she actually could see herself marries to and I understand that. He would never understand.

I stayed by her side no matter what. After fights, I would comfort her until she felt better and when people whispered she was crazy for talking to me I would reassure her that she wasn't. I was actually there and I was only there for her.

Lizzy ended up having three children after she got married to Thomas. Lilith was born first, then William and their youngest son was named Jamie. Lizzy told me that she named him after me, although Thomas didn't know this.

I knew that Jamie was special from a very young age. He was different. He didn't associate with other children and would rather stay home with Lizzy.

"I worried about Jamie. He won't talk to any other children his age. I want him to have friends. I don't want him to get picked on because he doesn't have friends," Lizzy tells me, looking towards the door.

"He'll be fine, Lizzy. Not all children have to have a lot of friends. You and I only had each other and we're still best friends after death. He'll find someone once he's ready. He's a bit of a shy kid. He's going to take his time," I reassure her, knowing this because I was a bit of a shy child myself when I was his age.

He was only about six years old, so I found it normal. Most kids tend to be shy for a while. I didn't think anything of it.

During our conversation, little Jamie opens the door to the bedroom we were talking in and slowly looks in. "Mommy, who are you talking to?" he asks quietly.

"No one Sweetie, it was probably just someone outside. The walls are thin," Lizzy lies, fearing that everyone will think she is insane if she tells the truth.

The young child comes in the room all the way and looks directly at me. It's as if he can see me. I am curious about if he can. I move around and see his eyes follow. He can see me.

"Mommy, who's that?"

"What do you mean, Honey? There's no one there," Lizzy continues to lie.

"Yes, there is. He's right next to you. Can't you see him? I can," he says.

Lizzy's face instantly becomes a worried look. I know why. She doesn't want her son to be ridiculed or called insane by other children because he can see his mother's dead friend. No mother would want that for their child, but especially not Lizzy.

She knees down in front of him and holds his shoulders. "Jamie, Honey, that man you see is one of Mommy's closest friends. Only I can see him, but now you can too. You have to keep it a secret because other people don't understand what they can't see, okay? Promise me that you'll keep this a secret and don't tell anyone."

He nods and hugs his mom, waving at me. I can't help but wave back. He is a very nice boy and is definitely the black sheep of the family. He isn't social and that's pretty much why.

"This is Mommy's friend, Jamie. You were named after him because he was a very good man that I loved like my brother. You're going to be a very good man too some day."

"Why can only you and I see him?" the curious child asks.

She looks back at me with a pleading look. She obviously wants me to explain. I move down to the floor and smile because he looks eager to know.

"Well, your mother and I were very close. We were so close that even death couldn't separate us. When some very bad things were done to me, your mother was there through every painful minute, until the very last one. She was the only one who could see me because of how close we were. Now you can see me too. That makes you very special like your mother," I explain.

He smiles and hugs Lizzy while looking at me. He's obviously still curious, but he's too young to know all the details. It's too graphic for a young child.

After that time little Jamie continued to see me. He didn't tell a soul of my existence. He and Lizzy were the only ones who knew I was there.

Now that is all different. The year is 1987. Elizabeth is 87 years old and her health has been steadily declining. Her family decided it would be best for professional caregivers to take care of her, so she no longer lives at home.

The caregivers do a very good job of taking care of her, but I know she does not enjoy it. She would rather live at home. Her family does visit often, especially now that doctors say she could leave anytime, but she still doesn't like it.

I know that I do not have much time with her, so I will say my goodbyes after everyone else.

'Lizzy was the greatest friend I could have ever asked for. I am really going to miss her when she's gone.'